BEACH REPLENISHMENT WORK resumed last weekend as the dredge Texas returned from Cape May and began pumping sand onto Avalon’s north-end beaches. The Texas underwent maintenance work and completed a small project while in Cape May. Now that it’s back in Avalon, it is expected to operate around the clock until beach work is completed, stopping only for unsafe weather conditions or mechanical issues. The current phase of the project is expected to be completed about May 20th. The final phase will entail pumping sand through a submerged pipe onto beaches in Avalon’s hotel district and Stone Harbor’s north end. That portion of the project is expected to conclude about June 20th.
BRIDGE UPDATES: 150-foot pipe piles will be installed to support the Townsend’s Inlet Bridge. Three piles will be placed underwater at each end of one of the bridge support piers, then welded and bolted to the support structure.
Officials hope to have the bridge open to vehicular traffic by Memorial Day Weekend.
Repair of the 96th Street Bridge is also underway, with overnight closures expected from 10pm to 5am, Sunday through Thursday
BIG BLUEFISH, AND LOTS OF THEM! That’s the word among local fishermen who have caught numerous bluefish of good size in the back bays and in the surf. The Atlantic City Press reported that Tammie of Avalon Hodge Podge has weighed bluefish over eight pounds, and one that was over nine pounds.
A plume of water and sand land on Avalon’s beach during replenishment operations.
LOCALS RIDE FREE on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry Sunday, May 7th! A photo ID with a local zip code will save you the $18 round-trip foot passenger fare. The ferry ride across the mouth of Delaware Bay and back is delightful—on any given trip you’re likely to see ships, boats, dolphins, or a sunset. To book, visit www.cmlf.com by Saturday
THE BEST MEMORIES are made on shore vacations! Why not make it permanent? If you’d like to find the perfect shore home, let’s get started! Call or email me—I’ll listen to your needs and help you find the ideal place for your family to enjoy!
- Avalon Historical Society Photography Contest and Exhibit, visit www.avalonhistorycenter.
org for info, photos will be on display throughout the month, contest runs now throughout the month of May
- Avalon’s Bulk Pick-up, items to curb from May 5 through May 14 with pick-up beginning on Monday, May 15
- 12th Annual Golf Tournament for Brendan’s Fund, www.brendansfund.org for info, Stone Harbor Golf Club, 10AM, Friday, May 5
- Avalon Garden Club Plant Sale, Community Hall, Noon-4PM on Friday, May 5 & 9AM-4PM on Saturday, May 6
- Stone Harbor’s Spring Tide Festival, visit www.stoneharborbeach.com
for info, 96th Street, 11AM-5PM, Saturda y, May 6
- Avalon Wine & Spirits Festival, 200 high-end wines & spirits, hors d’oeuvres by island restaurants, silent auction, music, go to www.visitavalonnj.com for info, Avalon’s Community Hall, 6:30PM, Friday, May 12
- Avalon’s paper shredding day, Firehouse hoagie sale, Bicycle auction, Lions Club yard sale, www.avalonboro.net for info, Saturday, May 13
- Avalon Yard Sale, map pickup at 8AM at Avalon Community Hall, Saturday, May 13
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Plant and Bake Sale, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-1PM, Saturday, May 13
- Cops and Coffee Event with the Avalon police, Pudgie Pelican Restaurant, 9AM, Saturday, May 13
- Wetlands Institute Native Plant Sale, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday
& Sunday, May 13 & 14
- Stone Harbor’s Bulk Pick-up, items to curb up to 72 hours prior to pick up on Monday, May 15
- Bishop McHugh’s 17th Annual Golf Tournament, Stone Harbor Golf Club, www.bishopmchugh.com for info, 11AM, Friday, May 19
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Community Yard Sale, Women’s Civic Club on 96th Street, 8AM-2PM, Saturday
, May 20
- Mayor’s Cup Bocce Tournament and Avalon Borough’s 125th Anniversary Celebration, www.
avalonrecreation.org for info, ceremony at 9:30AM, Mayor’s Cup and activities at 10AM, Saturday, May 20
- Wetlands Institute Spring Shorebird & Horseshoe Crab Festival, www.
wetlandsinstitute.org for info, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday & Sunday, May 20 & 21
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents Midiri Brothers Traditional Jazz, proceeds donated to the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, May 21
- Stone Harbor Beach Opening Ceremony, 95th Street & the beach, 9:30AM, Friday, May 26
- 15th Annual Turtle Trot 5K & 2 Mile Fun Walk, 95th Street & First Avenue, 6:45AM registration, 8
AM race, 8:05AM fun walk, Sunday, May 28
- Stone Harbor’s Farmers Market, 95th Street & Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, May 28
- NFIP Flood Insurance Seminar, bring your flood elevation certificate for a free review, Stone Harbor Library, www.stoneharborbeach.
com for info, 1-3PM, Saturday, June 17
This move-in ready, renovated 4 bedroom/3 bath townhouse is located near the Stone Harbor Recreation Center and the beach. Take a look, it’s charming and the price is right.
Enjoy the stunning channel and sunset view from this beautiful move-in ready home. With a pool, third floor observation deck, and walking distance to town, this property is a winner.
This renovated bayfront is loaded with charm and views. Sold fully furnished, it makes you feel good just being inside. With a large master bedroom deck, detached two-car garage and room for a pool, it is priced right.
Have you been dreaming of being on the bay with your own boat slip, unobstructed sunset and wetlands views, yet be just 1.5 blocks to Avalon’s best beaches? If so, you need to look at this totally renovated, interior and exterior, 5 bedroom townhome with a garage, at Turtle Cove.
6680 Ocean Dr., North, Avalon. $1,694,000, ACTIVE MLS# 174082 – PRICE REDUCED!
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
135 87th St., Stone Harbor, $2,950,000, ACTIVE MLS# 172176 – PRICE REDUCED!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
129 114th St., Stone Harbor, $1,850,000, ACTIVE MLS# 169704 – PRICE REDUCED!
8300 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $460,000, SOLD MLS#: 174497
173 33rd Street, Avalon, $477,500, SOLD MLS#: 171004
700 First Avenue, Unit 312, Avalon, $495,000, SOLD MLS#: 174307
579 22nd Street, Avalon, $547,000, SOLD MLS#: 172999
8201 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $605,000, SOLD MLS#: 174531
10108 Third Avenue, Rear, Stone Harbor, $699,000, SOLD MLS#: 151858
249 101st Street, Stone Harbor, $1,275,098, SOLD MLS#: 173399
4308 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,675,000, SOLD MLS#: 172357
7589 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,825,000, SOLD MLS#: 172738
312 114th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,400,000, SOLD MLS#: 172384