GET ‘EM READY! With Memorial Day Weekend just around the corner, it’s time to make final preparations for getting rental properties ready for the season. Take a moment and make a checklist of items. Here’s a list of general items: spring cleaning; air conditioning tested/serviced; cable & Wi-Fi service on; outside shower turned on; barbecue grill ready with full propane tank; landscape/lawn service established; pool maintenance service arranged; windows cleaned & awnings installed; outside furniture on deck/patio; changeover cleanings scheduled. Your property’s unique needs should be addressed as well. Also, make sure you’ve obtained the proper rental license. Need help with a particular issue? Please call or email me!
Sunset at Townsend’s Inlet! The southern tip of Sea Isle City (on the right in this photo) is a delightful place to walk in the evening.
WEATHER AND A MECHANICAL ISSUE delayed beach replenishment work in Avalon this past weekend. A broken anchor line forced the dredge “Texas” to depart Townsend’s Inlet for Cape May late Thursday night. The Texas was planning to leave Townsend’s Inlet at noon Friday anyway, due to high winds and seas associated with last weekend’s rainstorm. The Texas was due back in Townsend’s Inlet on Monday afternoon. As of last week, about 830,000 cubic yards of sand had been placed on the beach, with 100,000 cubic yards remaining in this phase of the project, before transitioning to the final phase covering southern Avalon and northern Stone Harbor.
HENNY’S RESTAURANT: Demolition of the iconic Henny’s began Monday, and crews have made quick progress, removing the landmark structure one dumpster-full at a time. The site will be utilized by The Reeds at Shelter Haven for 22 additional hotel rooms and a spa.
COAST GUARD VESSEL Tamaroa was finally sunk last week to become an artificial reef about 26 miles from Cape May. Originally serving the Navy in World War II as the Zuni, the vessel also served the Coast Guard for decades, and made now-famous rescues during the 1991 “Perfect Storm”, of book and movie fame. After reaching its final destination, holes were cut in the side of the ship and water was pumped in, until it gradually receded beneath the surface. Marine life is expected to begin congregating and growing on the sunken hull within months, and the site will eventually become a destination for sport fishermen.
MEMORIAL DAY PARADES and ceremonies are planned in both Avalon & Stone Harbor. Avalon’s parade steps off at 9am from 32nd & Dune, proceeding north toward Veteran’s Plaza where a ceremony will occur about 9:30am. Stone Harbor’s parade will begin at 12 noon and proceed eastward along 96th Street to the Women’s Civic Club, where a ceremony is planned.
- Avalon Historical Society Photography Contest and Exhibit, visit www.avalonhistorycenter.
org for info, photos will be on display throughout the month, contest runs now through the month of May
- Bishop McHugh’s 17th Annual Golf Tournament, Stone Harbor Golf Club, www.bishopmchugh.com for info, 11AM, Friday, May 19
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Community Yard Sale, Women’s Civic Club on 96th Street, 8AM-2PM, Saturday
, May 20
- Mayor’s Cup Bocce Tournament and Avalon Borough’s 125th Anniversary Celebration, www.
avalonrecreation.org for info, ceremony at 9:30AM, Mayor’s Cup and activities at 10AM, Saturday, May 20
- Wetlands Institute Spring Shorebird & Horseshoe Crab Festival, www.
wetlandsinstitute.org for info, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday & Sunday, May 20 & 21
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents Midiri Brothers Traditional Jazz, proceeds donated to the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, May 21
- Avalon Garden Club Fashion Show & Luncheon, Avalon Yacht Club, 11:30AM, Wednesday, May 24
- Stone Harbor Beach Opening Ceremony, 95th Street & the beach, 9:30AM, Friday, May 26
- Stone Harbor Library Grand Opening, 9516 Second Avenue, 11AM, Friday, May 26
- 15th Annual Turtle Trot 5K Run & 2 Mile Fun Walk, 95th Street & First Avenue, 6:45AM registration, 8
AM race, 8:05AM fun walk, Sunday, May 28
- Stone Harbor’s Farmers Market, 95th Street & Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, May 28
- Matthew Mullen Memorial 5K Beach Run/Walk, 30th Street Beach, 8:30AM, Sunday, May 28
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Guided Tour, meet at Egret Espy Path at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10-11AM, Sunday, May 28
- Avalon Memorial Day Parade, 32nd Street & Dune Drive kick off at 9AM, proceeds north along Dune Drive to Veteran’s Plaza at 21st & Dune Drive for ceremony of remembrance at 9:30AM, visit www.avalonboro.net for info, Monday, May 29
- Memorial Service for Fallen Heroes, Stone Harbor Firehouse, 11AM, Monday, May 29
- 7 Mile Island American Legion Post Memorial Day Parade & Ceremony, parade starts at 96th Street Bridge, down 96th Street to Women’s Civic Club at the Beach for a remembrance ceremony, Noon-1PM, Monday, May 29
- American Legion Post #331 Memorial Day Open House, 11617 Second Avenue, 1PM, Monday, May 29
- Stone Harbor Annual Tour of Homes, call 609-313-2460 for tickets, 12:30-4PM, Saturday, June 3
- Stone Harbor Property Owners Association General Membership Meeting, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, 8:30AM, Saturday, June 10
- NFIP Flood Insurance Seminar, bring your flood elevation certificate for a free review, Stone Harbor Library, www.stoneharborbeach.
com for info, 1-3PM, Saturday, June 17
- St. Mary’s Episcopal Church Strawberry Festival, 95th Street & Third Avenue, 6PM-8PM, Sunday, June 18
Have you been thinking about your dream bayfront condo with unobstructed sunset and wetlands views? This 3-bedroom unit has been renovated and decorated to perfection and includes a boat slip. This is a must-see opportunity!
This move-in ready, renovated 4 bedroom/3 bath townhouse is located near the Stone Harbor Recreation Center and the beach. Take a look, it’s charming and the price is right.
Enjoy the stunning channel and sunset view from this beautiful move-in ready home. With a pool, third floor observation deck, and walking distance to town, this property is a winner.
This renovated bayfront is loaded with charm and views. Sold fully furnished, it makes you feel good just being inside. With a large master bedroom deck, detached two-car garage and room for a pool, it is priced right.
Have you been dreaming of being on the bay with your own boat slip, unobstructed sunset and wetlands views, yet be just 1.5 blocks to Avalon’s best beaches? If so, you need to look at this totally renovated, interior and exterior, 5 bedroom townhome with a garage, at Turtle Cove.
6680 Ocean Dr., North, Avalon. $1,649,000, ACTIVE MLS# 174082 – PRICE REDUCED!
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
135 87th St., Stone Harbor, $2,950,000, ACTIVE MLS# 172176 – PRICE REDUCED!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
129 114th St., Stone Harbor, $1,850,000, ACTIVE MLS# 169704 – PRICE REDUCED!
6998 Dune Drive, Avalon, $3,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 176222
10912 Third Avenue, First Floor, Stone Harbor, $372,000, SOLD MLS#: 170290
677 21st Street, 2nd Floor, Avalon, $450,000, SOLD MLS#: 173772
8931 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $529,000, SOLD MLS#: 175384
214 32nd Street, Avalon, $680,000, SOLD MLS#: 172375
3470 Dune Drive, Avalon, $860,000, SOLD MLS#: 174393
1100 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $999,000, SOLD MLS#: 171096
328 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $1,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 174305
6718 Dune Drive, Avalon, $3,310,000, SOLD MLS#: 174559