BEACHFILL CONTINUES: Sand pumping continues on Stone Harbor’s beaches, with the southernmost portion already completed. According to the latest project update, pipes will soon be shifted so that sand may be placed on the beach in a northerly direction for the remainder of the Stone Harbor portion of the project. In a couple of weeks pipes will be mobilized in Avalon so work can begin there. In Avalon, sand will be pumped from Townsend’s Inlet onto the beach at 9th Street, progressing southward to 30th Street.
AVALON BACK BAY DREDGING has resumed. The dredge contractor began assembling pipes several weeks ago, and the final phase of that project is now underway. Dredging is underway in Graven’s Thorofare, moving toward Long Reach.
ALL ABOARD! Catch Bill Mengel as he discusses “How the Railroad Made Avalon” at the Avalon History Center Saturday, March 4thfrom 1pm to 2pm. Barrier islands from Cape May to Atlantic City owe their success in large part to the railroads, and Avalon is no exception. Hauling vacationers, daytrippers, and fishermen from Philadelphia, the railroads brought thousands of people to the barrier islands every year. Learn more from Bill on Saturday!
The West Jersey & Seashore Railroad in Avalon, circa 1920!
DUNE GRASS PLANTING: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! Avalon’s dune grass planting will take place on Saturday, April 1st. Volunteers should report to Avalon Community Hall at 30th Street and Avalon Avenue at 8:30am for donuts and coffee. Following a brief demonstration and distribution of planting utensils, volunteers will be transported to the planting sites by Avalon Borough trucks. A complimentary lunch will be served at Community Hall at 12 noon. Planting will resume after lunch (if necessary) for those able to continue. Please contact Chuck McDonnell at Community Hall (609-967-3066) or Sue Keen at the Mayor’s Office (609-967-5924) for questions, or to sign up for the dune grass planting.
ANOTHER TASTE OF SPRING! A mid-week warm up had daytime temperatures into the 60s, as Mother Nature teases us with yet another taste of spring! By the way, in case you haven’t checked your calendar recently—it’s less than 90 days to Memorial Day Weekend! It’s time to make your summer plans! Whether you’re looking for a place for a week or a place for life, please call me!
- Avalon’s Shop-A-Holics, The Princeton & The Whitebrier, designers, deals & drinks, Thursday–Saturday, March 2-4
- Cape May-Lewes Ferry Beer Dinner, Cape May Ferry Terminal, featuring beers from the Flying Fish Brewery,www.CapeMayLewesFerry.
com for details, 5:30PM, Friday, March 3
- Junior Zookeeper Day, exclusive glimpse into the day & life of a zookeeper for ages 10 & up, call 609-465-5271 for info & registration, Cape May County Zoo, 9AM-Noon, Saturday, March 4
- IPad Workshop, designed for beginners, Avalon Free Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon,
Saturday, March 4
- All Aboard! – talk about the history of the railroad in Avalon including old photos, Avalon History Center, 1-2PM, Saturday, March 4
- Stone Harbor Shiver Event, registration at 9:30AM at Fred’s Tavern, parade at 11:45AM leading to the plunge at the 96th Street beach, Saturday, March 11
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association 2017 Budget Presentation by Council members Chuck Covington & Dr. Nancy Hudanich, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, March 11
- Sea Isle City’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Celebration, 3:30PM, Saturday, March 11
- Big Band Dance featuring Craig Satchell’s Jazz & Swing Ensemble, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, March 11
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Midiri Brothers Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street in Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, March 12
- Stone Harbor Bulk Pick-up, items curbside up to 72 hours prior to pick up, Monday, March 13
- Irish Dance Performance by the Emerald Isle Academy of Irish Dance in celebration of St. Patty’s Day, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-1:45PM, Saturday, March 18
- Ocean Drive Marathon & Ocean Drive 10Miler Course, through Stone Harbor, Avalon, Sea Isle City, more, visithttp://www.odmarathon.org
for details, 9AM, Sunday, March 26
- Cape May-Lewes Ferry Wine Dinner, Cape May Ferry Terminal, www.
CapeMayLewesFerry.com, for info, 5:30-8:30PM, Friday, March 31
- Avalon’s Spring Dune Grass Planting, Volunteers Needed, 609-967-3066 or 609-
967-5924 for info & registration, Avalon Community Hall, 8:30 AM, Saturday, April 1
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Community Connections Event, Avalon Community Hall, 9:30AM start, Saturday, April 8
- Creative Writing Seminar, register at 609-967-7155 Avalon Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, April 8
This renovated bayfront is loaded with charm and views. Sold fully furnished, it makes you feel good just being inside. With a large master bedroom deck, detached two-car garage and room for a pool, it is priced right.
4738 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $2,495,000, ACTIVE MLS# 173542
Have you been dreaming of being on the bay with your own boat slip, unobstructed sunset and wetlands views, yet be just 1.5 blocks to Avalon’s best beaches? If so, you need to look at this totally renovated, interior and exterior, 5 bedroom townhome with a garage, at Turtle Cove.
6680 Ocean Dr., North, Avalon. $1,695,000, ACTIVE MLS# 174082
Avalon south-end beach block delight! This move-in ready, beautiful 5 bedroom/5 bath/3 half-bath home is now the best beach block buy in Avalon. Only 4 homes on the block with no poles or wires, this property has lots of natural light, high great-room ceilings, pool & cabana, and 4,000 sq. ft. of summer enjoyment!
189 63rd St., Avalon, $3,995,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS# 172469
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
135 87th St., Stone Harbor, $2,950,000, ACTIVE MLS# 172176 – PRICE REDUCED!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
129 114th St., Stone Harbor, $1,875,000, ACTIVE MLS# 169704 – PRICE REDUCED!
9501 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $409,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 174828
2169 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $629,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 174784
125 80th Street, Avalon, $749,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 174865
1116 Stone Harbor Blvd #303, Stone Harbor Manor, $844,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 174811
1116 Stone Harbor Blvd #302, Stone Harbor Manor, $889,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 174808
1116 Stone Harbor Blvd #301, Stone Harbor Manor, $944,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 174807
282 87th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,395,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 174896
9001 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $3,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 174770
8001 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $325,000, SOLD MLS#: 171909
494 Avalon Boulevard, Avalon Manor, $540,000, SOLD MLS#: 167951
263 7th Street, Avalon, $850,000, SOLD MLS#: 172365
2438 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 170722
246 16th Street, Avalon, $1,593,000, SOLD MLS#: 174753
148 104th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,650,000, SOLD MLS#: 172915
9413 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $2,125,000, SOLD MLS#: 172602
298 90th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,275,000, SOLD MLS#: 168066
77 E 22 Street, Avalon, $2,160,000, SOLD MLS#: 172640
4099 Bayberry Drive, Avalon, $3,500,000, SOLD MLS#: 168672