FLOOD INSURANCE SOLUTIONS: that’s the topic of discussion at a public class offered Thursday, February 16th from 10am until 12noon at Avalon Community Hall. Discussion will include current regulations, elevation certificates, and identifying and correcting costly mistakes. All are welcome to attend the session. Bring your elevation certificate, and your questions!
The shore is beautiful all year long! Here’s a peaceful winter sunset from the Avalon Boulevard bridge.
FRIDAY: FULL MOON + LUNAR ECLIPSE! February’s full moon occurs on Friday, with the moon rising at 5:18pm. Later on, look for a “penumbral lunar eclipse” as the moon slides into the earth’s shadow. Scientists say the effect will be subtle, but look for the peak of the eclipse at 7:44pm. For those awake in the wee hours of the morning, the “New Year” comet will reach its closest point to Earth in the very early hours of Saturday morning. At 7.5 million miles from Earth, the comet will be visible with the naked eye, but scientists say a pair of binoculars will help! The beach often proves to be a good location for observing the skies, since it’s a bit darker than most other areas.
CELEBRATING VALENTINE’S DAY here on the Island? The Reeds at Shelter Haven is offering Valentine’s Day Prix Fixe dinners on Saturday, February 11th and Tuesday, February 14th. Call 609-368-0100 for info. The Icona Golden Inn follows up with a 5 Course Dinner and Wine Pairing on Saturday, February 18th. Call 609-368-5155 for info.
THE STONE HARBOR MUSEUM has announced that it will be moving into the former William Ris Gallery location at 9410 Second Avenue. Having outgrown its former location at 235 93rd Street, the museum has been searching for a larger location to house its 50,000 artifact collection. The museum expects to be fully moved and open in the spring.
- Cape May-Lewes Ferry Wine Dinner, Cape May Ferry Terminal, www.
CapeMayLewesFerry.com for details, 5:30-8:30PM, Saturday, February 11
- Flood Insurance Premium Reduction Seminar, bring your elevation certificates for review, 609-425-9717 for info & reservations, Avalon Community Hall, 10AM-Noon, Thursday, February 16
- Creative Writing Seminar, Avalon Free Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon,
Saturday, February, 18
- Lecture in honor of Presidents’ Day, Avalon Free Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 1PM,
Saturday, February 18
- Sea Isle City’s Polar Bear Plunge, 40th Street beach, 2PM, Saturday, February 18
- 3rd Saturday Comedy Show with Shuli Egar & Kevin Israel, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, 8PM, Saturday, February 18
- North Wildwood’s Fallen Heroes Polar Bear Plunge, proceeds benefit the Philadelphia Police Fallen Heroes Fund, visit www.FallenHeroPlunge.com
for details, 15th Street & the beach in North Wildwood, 11AM, Saturday, February 25
- Avalon’s Shop-A-Holics, The Princeton & The Whitebrier, designers, deals & drinks, Thursday–Saturday, March 2-4
- Cape May-Lewes Ferry Beer Dinner, Cape May Ferry Terminal, featuring beers from the Flying Fish Brewery, www.
CapeMayLewesFerry.com for details, 5:30PM, Friday, March 3
- IPad Workshop, designed for beginners, Avalon Free Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon,
Saturday, March 4
- Stone Harbor Shiver Event, registration at 9:30AM at Fred’s Tavern, parade at 11:45AM leading to the plunge at the 96th Street beach, Saturday, March 11
- Sea Isle City’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Celebration, 3:30PM, Saturday, March 11
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Midiri Brothers Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street in Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, March 12
- Stone Harbor Bulk Pick-up, items curbside up to 72 hours prior to pick up, Monday, March 13
- Irish Dance Performance by the Emerald Isle Academy of Irish Dance in celebration of St. Patty’s Day, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-1:45PM, Saturday, March 18
- Ocean Drive Marathon & Ocean Drive 10Miler Course, visit http://www.odmarathon.
org for details, 9AM, Sunday, March 26
Have you been dreaming of being on the bay with your own boat slip, unobstructed sunset and wetlands views, yet be just 1.5 blocks to Avalon’s best beaches? If so, you need to look at this totally renovated, interior and exterior, 5 bedroom townhome with a garage, at Turtle Cove.
Avalon south-end beach block delight! This move-in ready, beautiful 5 bedroom/5 bath/3 half-bath home is now the best beach block buy in Avalon. Only 4 homes on the block with no poles or wires, this property has lots of natural light, high great-room ceilings, pool & cabana, and 4,000 sq. ft. of summer enjoyment!
189 63rd St., Avalon, $3,995,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS# 172469
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
135 87th St., Stone Harbor, $2,950,000, ACTIVE MLS# 172176 – PRICE REDUCED!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
177 80th Street, Avalon, $465,000, SOLD MLS#: 173241
227 117th Street S/S, Stone Harbor, $795,500, SOLD MLS#: 172485
23 Marine Way, Avalon, $1,075,000, SOLD MLS#: 169292
9123 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $1,605,000, SOLD MLS#: 168277
9835 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $4,000,000, SOLD MLS#: 163748
177 63rd Street, Avalon, $4,171,597, SOLD MLS#: 170301
108 116th Street, Stone Harbor, $4,212,500, SOLD MLS#: 169989
8800 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $4,477,500, SOLD MLS#: 167300
12 106th Street, Stone Harbor, $4,720,000, SOLD MLS#: 173150