SAND PUMPING could begin as early as February 7th, according to a recent update on the Avalon/Stone Harbor beach replenishment. Sand will initially be dredged from Hereford Inlet and pumped onto Stone Harbor’s beaches and once that portion of the project is completed, operations will move to Avalon. Approximately 28 days of pumping will be required in Stone Harbor, and 37 days in Avalon. Equipment has already been mobilized for the project.
A LITTLE BIT OF SNOW blanketed the Island early this week. A couple of inches fell Sunday evening into Monday morning, making for some peaceful scenes along the beach and on the dunes!
A layer of fluffy snow blanketed Avalon’s dunes earlier this week.
A PORTION OF OCEAN DRIVE in Avalon will undergo a sewer main replacement, drainage improvements, and a complete repaving. Work will be conducted in phases over the next several months, with portions of Ocean Drive closed during construction. However, work will be suspended during the summer season so as not to impact visitors.
PROPOSED FLOUNDER FISHING LIMITS for 2017 have united both recreational as well as commercial fisherman in opposition to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. The commission has proposed a thirty percent reduction in the flounder haul of commercial fishermen, and a forty percent reduction in the recreational catch. Recreational fishermen could be limited to keeping flounder that are at least 19 inches, up from last year’s 17 inch minimum. The flounder season could also be reduced to just 59 days. Several state and federal representatives based in New Jersey have recently voiced opposition to the proposed limits, too, out of concern for the economic impact the proposed regulations could have.
- IPad Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon, Sa
turday, February 4
- Avalon Home Movies hosted by the Avalon History Center, watch fascinating films depicting streets, beaches & buildings of Avalon from the 40’s, 50’s & 60’s, 1-2PM, Saturday, February 4
- A Tribute to The Last Waltz, local musicians perform songs played at the band’s final concert, Harbor Square Theater, 8:30PM, Saturday, February 4
- 14th Annual Super Bash XIV raising funds for Friends in Need organization, The Princeton, 4PM, Sunday, February 5
- Cape May-Lewes Ferry Wine Dinner, Cape May Ferry Terminal, www.
CapeMayLewesFerry.com for details, 5:30-8:30PM, Saturday , February 11
- Flood Insurance Premium Reduction Seminar, bring your elevation certificates for review, 609-425-9717 for info & reservations, Avalon Community Hall, 10AM-Noon, Thursday, February 16
- Creative Writing Seminar, Avalon Free Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon, Sa
turday, February, 18
- Lecture in honor of Presidents’ Day, Avalon Free Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 1PM, Saturday
, February 18
- Sea Isle City’s Polar Bear Plunge, 40th Street beach, 2PM, Saturday, February 18
- North Wildwood’s Fallen Heroes Polar Bear Plunge, proceeds benefit the Philadelphia Police Fallen Heroes Fund, visit FallenHeroPlunge.com for details, 15th Street & the beach in North Wildwood, 11AM, Saturday, February 25
- Avalon’s Shop-A-Holics, The Princeton & The Whitebrier, designers, deals & drinks, Thursday–Saturday, March 2-4
- Stone Harbor Shiver Event, registration at 9:30AM at Fred’s Tavern, parade at 11:45AM leading to the plunge at the 96th Street beach, Saturday, March 11
- Sea Isle City’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Celebration, 3:30PM, Saturday, March 11
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Midiri Brothers Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street in Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, March 12
- Stone Harbor Bulk Pick-up, items curbside up to 72 hours prior to pick up, Monday, March 13
- Ocean Drive Marathon & Ocean Drive 10Miler Course, visit http://www.odmarathon.
org for details, 9AM, Sunday, March 26
Have you been dreaming of being on the bay with your own boat slip, unobstructed sunset and wetlands views, yet be just 1.5 blocks to Avalon’s best beaches? If so, you need to look at this totally renovated, interior and exterior, 5 bedroom townhome with a garage, at Turtle Cove.
Avalon south-end beach block delight! This move-in ready, beautiful 5 bedroom/5 bath/3 half-bath home is now the best beach block buy in Avalon. Only 4 homes on the block with no poles or wires, this property has lots of natural light, high great-room ceilings, pool & cabana, and 4,000 sq. ft. of summer enjoyment!
189 63rd St., Avalon, $3,995,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS# 172469
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
150 96th Street, Unit 1, Stone Harbor, $485,000, SOLD MLS#: 173404
494 Avalon Boulevard, Avalon Manor, $540,000, SOLD MLS#: 167951
1127 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor Manor, $675,000, SOLD MLS#: 173769
222 87th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,155,000, SOLD MLS#: 170547
213 62nd Street, Avalon, $2,875,000, SOLD MLS#: 168327