“2,000 to 3,000 POUNDS PER DAY.” That’s how much food whales eat, according to Cape May Whale Watcher Jeff Stewart, who said that the presence of whales along local beaches is driven by the presence of bunker, on which they feed. Stewart said his whale watching trips spotted a dozen whales off Hereford Inlet a couple of weeks ago, as well as a 60-foot pilot whale off Stone Harbor before Thanksgiving. Stewart’s whale watching trips conclude soon, but will resume in March. For more, see this Atlantic City Press article: http://www.
STRIPERS MOVING SOUTH: Stripers, a favorite fall gamefish, are finally moving southward. Until recently, fisherman were making long trips to the waters off Long Beach Island and Atlantic City to find them, but in the past few days good catches have been reported off Ocean City and Sea Isle. As the water continues to cool the fish should keep moving south.
Even the offseason is delightful here at the shore! Yes, it’s chilly outside, but a sunset walk on the beach will warm your heart!
A LOT OF RUMBLING up and down the coast last Thursday afternoon had many wondering if a small earthquake may have occurred. But it was a sonic boom from an F-35 fighter that was cleared to go supersonic off the Jersey Coast, according to Press of Atlantic City meteorologist Dan Skeldon, who spoke with officials at Patuxent River Naval Air Station, where the jet was based. The tremors were felt in Cape May, Atlantic, and Ocean Counties. A similar event occurred along the Jersey Coast in January.
COLDER WEATHER=WINTERIZE NOW! It’s time to have outside water lines shut off and winterized, if you haven’t already done so. Contact your plumber and schedule a visit. Foundation vents should be closed to prevent cold air from freezing pipes in your crawlspace. Thermostats should be set to 55 degrees to protect your interior plumbing.
- Wildwood’s Family Holiday Celebration, parade on Friday at 6PM with a tree lighting to follow, on Saturday from 9AM-4PM at the Convention Center holiday crafters, movies, photos with Santa, more, 609-729-9000 for info, Friday, & Saturday, December 9 & 10
- Sea Isle City’s Holiday Stroll, shops & businesses offering discounts & hospitality in honor of the season, sales, specials, Santa, carolers, entertainment & more will be featured, call 609-263-9090 for info, Saturday, December 10
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Meeting, Avalon’s Recreation Director Chuck McDonnell speaking, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, December 10
- Santa’s Family Workshop at the Cape May County Zoo, photos with Santa & Mrs. Claus, music, craft stations, education animals, more, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, December 10
- Big Band Dance featuring The Star Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, December 10
- Winter Enrichment Day at the Cape May County Zoo, watch zookeepers as they share special treats & activities with the animals, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, December 17
- Winter’s Wildlife Camp for ages 4-8, 4 day adventure camp at the Cape May County Zoo focusing on animal habitats, animal care, conservation & the environment, visit www.cmcZoo.com for info, Tuesday thru Friday, December 27-30
- IPad Workshop designed for beginning users, Avalon Free Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon,
Saturday, January 7
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Mary Lou Newman Jazz Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street in Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, January 8
Avalon south-end beach block delight! This move-in ready, beautiful 5 bedroom/5 bath/3 half-bath home is now the best beach block buy in Avalon. Only 4 homes on the block with no poles or wires, this property has lots of natural light, high great-room ceilings, pool & cabana, and 4,000 sq. ft. of summer enjoyment!
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
227 96th Street, Stone Harbor, $590,000, SOLD MLS#: 171664
146 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $725,000, SOLD MLS#: 171316
766 Sunrise Drive, Avalon, $840,000, SOLD MLS#: 168003
612 21st Street, Avalon, $999,000, SOLD MLS#: 171599
10022 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $999,000, SOLD MLS#: 173585
170 97th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,060,000, SOLD MLS#: 169846
115 20th Street, Avalon, $1,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 172416
7098 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,325,000, SOLD MLS#: 169653