THE 96TH STREET BRIDGE was closed unexpectedly over the weekend after a structural problem was discovered. Both automobile traffic and openings for marine traffic have been suspended after a County bridge crew found a crack in one of the main span girders while performing electrical work last Friday. The bridge is expected to remain closed until at least next week so repairs can be made. Vehicles headed to Stone Harbor should use Avalon Boulevard or North Wildwood Boulevard instead.
AVALON OFFICIALS are looking at options to move a joint Avalon-Stone Harbor hydraulic beach fill project forward. The project has been discussed for quite some time but ran into a roadblock when the US Fish and Wildlife Service claimed that Hereford Inlet could not be used as a borrow site for sand for the Stone Harbor portion of the project. Avalon’s sand was to come from Townsend’s Inlet but since the project covers both towns, Avalon’s administrator said if Stone Harbor’s portion of the project didn’t occur, neither would Avalon’s. Avalon officials may turn to the court system for relief to allow the dredging project to move forward. In the event it does not, Borough officials would turn to “backpassing,” a process of moving sand from one area of the beach to another, via bulldozers and dump trucks. Backpassing has been used previously to replenish beaches, but is seen as a method to extend the time between hydraulic dredging projects, not a replacement for it.
WANT YOUR OWN LIFEGUARD BOAT? There’s an Avalon lifeguard boat available on ebay right now! The 17-foot Van Duyne, located in York, PA, is offered at the Buy it Now price of $1,800. Visit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-
This Avalon lifeguard boat, now in York, PA, is being offered on ebay!
FLOOD INSURANCE CHECKUP: Stone Harbor residents are invited to a meeting Saturday, November 26th from 9:30am to 12 noon for a review of changes to the National Flood Insurance Program, steps to take to mitigate flood losses, followed by group or individual reviews of your current flood insurance coverage. If you have them, bring your elevation certificate and your current flood insurance policy so that specific mitigation steps can be recommended; if you don’t have them, your situation can still be reviewed. The meeting will be held at the Stone Harbor Municipal Building at 9508 Second Avenue. To reserve a seat visit http://stoneharbor.eventbrite.
- iPad Workshop, Avalon Public Library, register by calling 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, November 5
- Cape May County 8th Annual Disabilities Awareness Day, Avalon Community Hall, free health screenings, more, 10AM-1PM, Saturday, November 5
- Corn Husk Fall Wreath Art Workshop, Avalon Public Library, register by calling 609-967-7155, 10AM-1PM, Saturday, November 5
- Slither & Snore Sleepover, spend a night in the reptile house at the Cape May County Zoo, enjoy a continental breakfast the next morning, 6PM on Saturday, November 5 thru 9AM on Sunday, November 6
- Big Band Dance featuring Marilyn & the Monroes, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, November 5
- American Legion Post #331 Veterans’ Day Ceremony, Veterans’ Plaza in Avalon, 11AM, Friday, November 11
- Stone Harbor American Legion Veterans’ Day Ceremony, 11617 Second Avenue in Stone Harbor, Noon, Friday, November 11
- Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund Striper Tournament, registration includes a ticket to the Awards Dinner, visit www.brendansfund.org for details, Saturday, November 12
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Meeting, Scott Wahl, Avalon’s Business Manager, will speak on fall plans for the borough of Avalon including beach fill options, Community Hall, 10AM, Saturday, November 12
- Pirate Day at the Cape May County Zoo, come dressed as a pirate & enjoy treasure hunts, games, stories & photo ops, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, November 12
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Atlantic City Jazz Band, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday November 13
- Creative Writing Seminar, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, November 19
- Princess Day at the Cape May County Zoo, come dressed as a princess (or prince!) to enjoy glass slipper hunts, games, sing-a-longs, stories, photo ops, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, November 19
- Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund Turkey Trot, check in at 8am for a 5K walk, trot or jog, visit www.brendansfund.org for info, Thursday, November 24
- Story Time for Children with Mrs. Claus, Avalon Public Library, 10-10:45AM, Friday, November 25
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday events including a gala Christmas Parade on Saturday evening at 6:30PM, downtown shopping district, 10AM-9PM, Friday, November 25-Saturday, November 26
- Avalon’s Festive Friday, Avalon Shopping District’s kick-off of the holiday season, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 25
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier, Noon-8PM, Friday, November 25
- Wetlands Institute’s Wetland Wonderland, 9:30AM-3PM, Saturday, November 26
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, events for the entire family, downtown Avalon, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 26
- Christmas Tree Lighting at the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse, 5:30PM, Friday, December 2
- Big Band Dance featuring The Star Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, December 10
Avalon south-end beach block delight! This move-in ready, beautiful 5 bedroom/5 bath/3 half-bath home is now the best beach block buy in Avalon. Only 4 homes on the block with no poles or wires, this property has lots of natural light, high great-room ceilings, pool & cabana, and 4,000 sq. ft. of summer enjoyment!
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
Take this opportunity to own on a nice quiet street in Avalon, at the right price! This home on a full-size lot, has a wonderful backyard pool area with an oversize cabana and a huge 2nd floor master bedroom. This is a value that does not come along often.
238 43rd St., Avalon, $1,225,000, ACTIVE MLS# 171799 – UNDER CONTRACT
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
1708 Ocean Drive, Unit 2, Avalon, $630,000, SOLD MLS#: 170121
2137 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $640,000, SOLD MLS#: 170223
1629 Dune Dr., Avalon, $972,500, SOLD MLS#: 170271
199 11th Street, Avalon, $1,760,000, SOLD MLS#: 171478
141 20th Street, Avalon, $1,940,000, SOLD MLS#: 171272
45 E 11th Street, Avalon, $2,160,000, SOLD MLS#: 166564
215 120th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,633,000, SOLD MLS#: 169593
4510 Fifth Avenue, Avalon, $4,750,000, SOLD MLS#: 169804