BUOY ON THE BEACH! Monday’s low tide revealed an interesting new addition to the beach at Stone Harbor Point: a red navigational buoy, partially buried in the sand. The buoy is numbered “2T” and is from Townsend’s Inlet. No word on why it broke loose from its mooring in the inlet.
BEACH FILL MOVING AHEAD: The joint Avalon-Stone Harbor beachfill project appears to be moving forward after an agreement was struck among several agencies. In order to avoid using federal funds for the dredging of sand from Hereford Inlet to replenish Stone Harbor beaches—the issue that stalled the project initially—those funds will instead be used to fund Avalon’s fill, while a combination of Stone Harbor and NJDEP funds will be used for the Herford Inlet dredging component. The project is now expected to proceed, though Avalon still hopes to seek a long term solution to the original problem—the Division of Fish and Wildlife’s recent invoking of an old rule preventing dredging in Hereford Inlet using federal funds. Avalon says the rule had not been imposed on prior projects, and should not have been imposed this time.
THANKSGIVING WEEKEND kicks off the holiday season here on the Island! After your turkey dinner, check out Avalon’s Festive Friday and Snowfest Saturday activities, including the Turkey Trot run, iceless ice skating, and a tree lighting ceremony. Stone Harbor will celebrate the “It’s a Wonderful Life” theme again this year, with a scavenger hunt, caroling, and letters to Santa. It’s all capped off with a huge Christmas Parade along 96th Street Saturday evening. Check out the list of activities and events below!
STONE HARBOR LIBRARY: SNEAK PEEK! Swing by the new Stone Harbor Library on Saturday of Thanksgiving Weekend for a “sneak peek” inside the new facility. No official opening date has been announced, but the library will be open for the public to visit that day.
HOLIDAY BEACH TAGS will be available Thanksgiving Weekend! Avalon will sell holiday tags during Festive Friday on November 25th and Snowfest Saturday on November 26th at the Avalon Rescue Squad. This year beachgoers can find one of Santa’s reindeer dressed for the season with a wreath, ornaments and candy canes on the tag. On both days, sales will be held from 11am-4pm. The remaining tags will be for sale the following week in the tax collector’s office at Borough Hall, 3100 Dune Dr. Stone Harbor’s 2017 beach tags follow along with the Island Holiday Scavenger Hunt theme of “Every time a bell rings, an egret gets its wings.” The tag features an egret in the dunes wearing a red scarf with a bell close by. Tags will be available for purchase inside Borough Hall at 9508 Second Avenue beginning Friday, November 25th from 10am-8pm; Saturday, November 26th from 10am-7pm; and Sunday November 27th from 10am-5pm.
Avalon and Stone Harbor have unveiled their holiday beach tags. They can be purchased beginning Thanksgiving Weekend.
LOCAL GIFT IDEAS: While you’re here over Thanksgiving Weekend, shop local! Whether it’s a holiday beach tag, a box of fudge, a gift certificate to a local restaurant, or a specialty item from your favorite store, give a bit of Seven Mile Beach to your loved ones this year! Want to make it really special? Treat your family to their very own place at the shore! Call me to get started!
- Creative Writing Seminar, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon,
Saturday, November 19
- Princess Day at the Cape May County Zoo, come dressed as a princess (or prince!) to enjoy glass slipper hunts, games, sing-a-longs, stories, photo ops, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, November 19
- 5K Turkey Trot for Brendan’s Fund with proceeds donated to the Brendan Borek Endowed Fund at CHOP, check in at 8AM at 600 Park Boulevard in West Cape May, for a 5K walk, trot or jog, visit www.brendansfund.org or call 609-435-5917 for info, Thursday, November 24
- 5K Turkey Trot for Helen L. Diller Vacation Home for Blind Children in Avalon, 10am, Friday, November 25
- Story Time for Children with Mrs. Claus, Avalon Public Library, 10-10:45AM, Friday, November 25
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday event, activities, music, refreshments, shopping specials, more, downtown shopping district, 10AM-9PM, Friday, November 25-Saturday, November 26
- Avalon’s Festive Friday, Avalon Shopping District’s kick-off of the holiday season, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 25
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier, Noon-8PM, Friday, November 25
- Avalon’s Tree Lighting, Veteran’s Plaza, 5PM, Friday, November 25
- Wetlands Institute’s Wetland Wonderland, 9:30AM-3PM,
Saturday, November 26
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, events for the entire family including iceless ice skating, games, rides, rock wall climbing, family photos, more, downtown Avalon, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 26
- Stone Harbor’s gala Christmas parade down 96th Street, Santa will be in attendance, 6:30PM, Saturday, November 26
- Christmas Tree Lighting at the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse, 5:30PM, Friday, December 2
- IPad Workshop, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon,
Saturday, December 3
- International Cheetah Day at the Cape May County Zoo, cheetah related programs, activities & zookeeper talks, 11AM-2PM, Sunday, December 4
- Stone Harbor Caroling & Christmas Tree Lighting, ride the trolley through town for the caroling at 4:45PM & join in the tree lighting at 6PM, Wednesday, December 7
- Santa’s Family Workshop at the Cape May County Zoo, photos with Santa & Mrs. Claus, craft stations, education animals, more, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, December 10
- Big Band Dance featuring The Star Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, December 10
- Creative Writing Program, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon,
Saturday, December 17
- Winter Enrichment Day at the Cape May County Zoo, watch zookeepers as they share special treats & activities with the animals, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, December 17
Avalon south-end beach block delight! This move-in ready, beautiful 5 bedroom/5 bath/3 half-bath home is now the best beach block buy in Avalon. Only 4 homes on the block with no poles or wires, this property has lots of natural light, high great-room ceilings, pool & cabana, and 4,000 sq. ft. of summer enjoyment!
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
Take this opportunity to own on a nice quiet street in Avalon, at the right price! This home on a full-size lot, has a wonderful backyard pool area with an oversize cabana and a huge 2nd floor master bedroom. This is a value that does not come along often.
238 43rd St., Avalon, $1,225,000, ACTIVE MLS# 171799 – UNDER CONTRACT
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
284 86th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,012,000, SOLD MLS#: 172389
7036 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,725,000, SOLD MLS#: 171792
65 E 15th Street, Avalon, $2,950,000, SOLD MLS#: 170214
36 E 15th Street, Avalon, $2,995,000, SOLD MLS#: 166917
558 7th Street, Avalon, $3,000,000, SOLD MLS#: 164200