THE 96th STREET BRIDGE remains closed to vehicular and marine traffic due to a crack in one of its main girders. Temporary trusses are expected to be installed on top of the bridge, allowing vehicular traffic to cross over the span as soon as November 18th. The cracked girder can then be jacked into position and the crack repaired. Meanwhile, vehicles entering or leaving Stone Harbor must use North Wildwood Boulevard or Avalon Boulevard. Boats too tall to pass under the 96th Street Bridge must travel north or south via the ocean.
Workers examine the 96th Street Bridge after a cracked girder was discovered. Temporary trusses are expected to have it open to vehicular traffic on November 18th.
$708 MILLION! That’s the amount of annual tourism spending in Cape May County—well ahead of Atlantic County’s $360 million and Ocean County’s $636 million, according to a 2015 state report. Cape May County has marketed itself as a tourist destination for both the popular summer season, as well as the fall and off season. Cape May County’s most recent marketing campaign, “Fall for the Jersey Cape,” began in late summer, with the goal of increasing visits to the area on fall weekends.
VETERAN’S DAY CEREMONIES will be held in both Avalon and Stone Harbor on Friday, November 11th. Avalon’s ceremony will take place at 11am at Veteran’s Plaza at 21st & Dune Drive; at 12 noon Stone Harbor’s ceremony will occur at the American Legion at 11617 Second Avenue.
ANOTHER SUPERMOON will rise in the sky the evening of November 14th, with the moon making its closest appearance to earth since 1948. The moon will appear 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter in the sky—and local beaches make a superb viewing location!
FLOOD INSURANCE MEETING CANCELLED: Stone Harbor’s flood insurance informational meeting, scheduled for November 26th, has been cancelled.
WINTERIZE NOW: the first taste of cooler weather means it’s time to think about winterizing outdoor showers and other outside water lines. Contact your plumber now to get on the schedule. Need a plumber? Contact me for recommendations!
- American Legion Post #331 Veterans’ Day Ceremony, Veterans’ Plaza in Avalon, 11AM, Friday, November 11
- Stone Harbor American Legion Veterans’ Day Ceremony, 11617 Second Avenue in Stone Harbor, Noon, Friday, November 11
- Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund Striper Tournament, registration includes a ticket to the Awards Dinner, visit www.brendansfund.org for details, Saturday, November 12
- Olde Fashioned Christmas Bazaar, First United Methodist Church of Avalon, 9AM-2PM, Saturday, November 12
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Meeting, Scott Wahl, Avalon’s Business Manager, will speak on fall plans for the borough of Avalon including beach fill options, Community Hall, 10AM, Saturday, November 12
- Pirate Day at the Cape May County Zoo, come dressed as a pirate & enjoy treasure hunts, games, stories & photo ops, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, November 12
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Atlantic City Jazz Band, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday November 13
- Creative Writing Seminar, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon,
Saturday, November 19
- Princess Day at the Cape May County Zoo, come dressed as a princess (or prince!) to enjoy glass slipper hunts, games, sing-a-longs, stories, photo ops, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, November 19
- Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund Turkey Trot, check in at 8am for a 5K walk, trot or jog, visit www.brendansfund.org for info, Thursday, November 24
- Story Time for Children with Mrs. Claus, Avalon Public Library, 10-10:45AM, Friday, November 25
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday events including a gala Christmas Parade on Saturday evening at 6:30PM, downtown shopping district, 10AM-9PM, Friday, November 25-Saturday, November 26
- Avalon’s Festive Friday, Avalon Shopping District’s kick-off of the holiday season, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 25
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier, Noon-8PM, Friday, November 25
- Avalon’s Tree Lighting, Veteran’s Plaza, 5PM, Friday, November 25
- Wetlands Institute’s Wetland Wonderland, 9:30AM-3PM,
Saturday, November 26
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, events for the entire family, downtown Avalon, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 26
- Christmas Tree Lighting at the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse, 5:30PM, Friday, December 2
- Stone Harbor Caroling & Christmas Tree Lighting, ride the trolley through town for the caroling at 4:45PM & join in the tree lighting at 6PM, Wednesday, December 7
- Big Band Dance featuring The Star Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, December 10
Avalon south-end beach block delight! This move-in ready, beautiful 5 bedroom/5 bath/3 half-bath home is now the best beach block buy in Avalon. Only 4 homes on the block with no poles or wires, this property has lots of natural light, high great-room ceilings, pool & cabana, and 4,000 sq. ft. of summer enjoyment!
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
Take this opportunity to own on a nice quiet street in Avalon, at the right price! This home on a full-size lot, has a wonderful backyard pool area with an oversize cabana and a huge 2nd floor master bedroom. This is a value that does not come along often.
238 43rd St., Avalon, $1,225,000, ACTIVE MLS# 171799 – UNDER CONTRACT
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
349 92nd Street, Stone Harbor, $580,000, SOLD MLS#: 166589
2107 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $597,000, SOLD MLS#: 170005
1114 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor Manor, $625,000, SOLD MLS#: 173267
1116 Stone Harbor Boulevard #104, Stone Harbor Manor, $660,000, SOLD MLS#: 169115
2288 First Avenue, Avalon, $1,190,000, SOLD MLS#: 172619
408 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,745,000, SOLD MLS#: 169814
8520 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $2,850,000, SOLD MLS#: 171217