WELCOME HOME JONATHAN SCHWARTZ! After returning from a six-month deployment at Incirlik Air Force Base in Adana, Turkey, near Syria, Jonathan was welcomed home by an enthusiastic crowd along with a large flag draped across Avalon Boulevard by the Avalon and Stone Harbor Fire Departments. Jonathan volunteered for the deployment at the base, where air strikes against ISIS were launched. He has served for five years with the Air National Guard 177th Fighter Wing, Atlantic City. Welcome home, Jonathan, and thank you for your service!
STONE HARBOR PROPERTY OWNERS will soon receive a notice from Vital Computer Resources explaining the inspection process for an upcoming revaluation. Property inspections will begin in November and will continue through the spring and summer of 2017.
US COAST GUARD CUTTER TAMAROA will reach her final resting place on October 30th, when she will be sunk to form a reef off Cape May. It’s the 25th anniversary of the Tamaroa’s rescue of a sailboat’s crew and a downed helicopter off the New England Coast during a storm in 1991, which was later featured in the movie The Perfect Storm. She first saw service in World War II, and was later the first on the scene of the sinking Andrea Dorea. The Tamaroa reef is expected to support marine life, draw game fish, and help recreational fishing.
US Coast Guard Cutter Tamaroa will be sunk to form an artificial reef off Cape May. (US Coast Guard photo)
THE AVALON SEAWATCH counts migratory seabirds as they make their way southward between September 22ndand December 22nd. Staffed seven days a week from sunrise to sundown, counters identify and record the species and number of birds flying by. Based at the seawall at the east end of 7th Street, the location was chosen because Avalon’s north-end projects a mile further seaward than the surrounding area, offering an excellent vantage point. An average of 800,000 birds are counted each year.
THE SECOND PHASE of back bay dredging in Stone Harbor began on October 7th. A new dewatering process, which mixes dredge material with Portland cement, is speeding progress, and some dredge material has already been trucked off the island. Contractor Sevenson Environmental hopes to complete its work by the first week of January.
TRICK OR TREAT Monday evening in Avalon & Stone Harbor, from 5pm to 8pm. Happy Halloween!
- Avalon’s Trunk or Treat, trick or treating at the 30th Street parking lot by Avalon’s Community Hall, 5-7PM,Saturday, October 29
- Trick or Treating in Avalon & Stone Harbor, 5-8PM, Monday, October 31
- iPad Workshop, Avalon Public Library, register by calling 609-967-7155, 10AM-
Noon, Saturday, November 5
- Cape May County 8th Annual Disabilities Awareness Day, Avalon Community Hall, 10AM-1PM, Saturday, November 5
- Corn Husk Fall Wreath Art Workshop, Avalon Public Library, register by calling 609-967-7155, 10AM-1PM
,Saturday, November 5
- Slither & Snore Sleepover, spend a night in the reptile house at the Cape May County Zoo, enjoy a continental breakfast the next morning, 6PM on Saturday, November 5 thru 9AM on Sunday, November 6
- Big Band Dance featuring Marilyn & the Monroes, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, November 5
- American Legion Post #331 Veterans’ Day Ceremony, Veterans’ Plaza in Avalon, 11AM, Friday, November 11
- Stone Harbor American Legion Veterans’ Day Ceremony, 11617 Second Avenue in Stone Harbor, Noon,Friday, November 11
- Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund Striper Tournament, registration includes a ticket to the Awards Dinner, visit www.brendansfund.org for details, Saturday, November 12
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Meeting, Scott Wahl, Avalon’s Business Manager, will speak on fall plans for the borough of Avalon, Community Hall, 10AM, Saturday, November 12
- Pirate Day at the Cape May County Zoo, come dressed as a pirate & enjoy treasure hunts, games, stories & photo ops, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, November 12
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Atlantic City Jazz Band, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday November 13
- Creative Writing Seminar, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon, Sa
turday, November 19
- Princess Day at the Cape May County Zoo, come dressed as a princess (or prince!) to enjoy glass slipper hunts, games, sing-a-longs, stories, photo ops, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, November 19
- Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund Turkey Trot, check in at 8am for a 5K walk, trot or jog, visit www.brendansfund.org for info, Thursday, November 24
- Story Time for Children with Mrs. Claus, Avalon Public Library, 10-10:45AM, Friday, November 25
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday events including a gala Christmas Parade on Saturday evening at 6:30PM, downtown shopping district, 10AM-9PM, Friday, November 25-Saturday, November 26
- Avalon’s Festive Friday, Avalon Shopping District’s kick-off of the holiday season, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 25
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier, Noon-8PM, Friday, November 25
- Wetlands Institute’s Wetland Wonderland, 9:30AM-3PM, Saturd
ay, November 26
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, events for the entire family, downtown Avalon, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 26
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
Take this opportunity to own on a nice quiet street in Avalon, at the right price! This home on a full-size lot, has a wonderful backyard pool area with an oversize cabana and a huge 2nd floor master bedroom. This is a value that does not come along often.
238 43rd St., Avalon, $1,225,000, ACTIVE MLS# 171799 – UNDER CONTRACT
Enjoy the quiet privacy of this beautiful 5 bedroom home across from Obrien Park, in Avalon’s North End. Located on a corner 60′ x 110′ lot, this home is move-in ready for your summer enjoyment.
199 11th St., Avalon, $1,799,000, ACTIVE MLS# 171478 – Under Contract
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
3446 Dune Drive, Avalon, $845,000, SOLD MLS#: 170122
544 20th Street, Avalon, $950,000, SOLD MLS#: 166983
151 94th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,050,000, SOLD MLS#: 166179
104 115th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,932,500, SOLD MLS#: 168297