SEA TURTLE UPDATE: A sea turtle rescued from Avalon’s north-end beach is finally eating at the Marine Mammal Stranding Center, after refusing to do so initially. Now that she’s eating, she can be transferred to another facility for further rehab. She’d been scheduled for an Air Force transport flight to the Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center in North Carolina, but the flight was postponed due to weather brought on by Hurricane Matthew.
TWO STONE HARBOR BRIDGES will close temporarily for inspections next week. The Ocean Drive Bridge linking Stone Harbor to Nummy Island, locally known as “the free bridge” due to its lack of a toll booth, will close to automotive and marine traffic intermittently between 9am and 1pm on October 19th. The following day the 96th Street Bridge will experience intermittent closures as well. (See the nautical chart image below to find Nummy Island!)
AVALON is considering a monthly stipend to help increase firefighter response rates during the overnight hours. As Avalon’s population has aged and property values have increased, fewer firefighters live in town, with more choosing to reside offshore. Chief Ed Dean has proposed a maximum $400 per month stipend for firefighters who staff four overnight shifts at the firehouse. Stone Harbor and Sea Isle City fire departments have similar programs that have increased turnout, while costing the towns far less than staffing paid fire departments.
Seven Mile Beach as depicted in NOAA Nautical Chart 12316. This type of chart is used by boaters to navigate the IntraCoastal Waterway, marked by red triangles and green squares. Modern GPS navigation units have electronic charts built in.
IT’S A BIRD, IT’S A PLANE…it’s an Antares Rocket! The fifth such rocket will be launched from Wallops Island, Virginia at 8:03pm Sunday evening. New Jersey’s coastal areas could have a good view of the launch, depending upon weather, as the rocket’s exhaust trail should be visible from the beach. The scheduled launches are frequently postponed though, so check https://www.nasa.gov/
BOO AT THE ZOO returns to the Cape May County Zoo on Saturday, October 22 from 10am to 2pm. The free family-friendly event includes a costume contest, crafts, children’s amusement rides, a magic show, and more. The annual event is a big hit with kids young and old! Visit www.cmczoo.com for more info on the event, or other zoo programs!
- Lighthouse Challenge of NJ Weekend, tour the state & visit as many lighthouses as you can with some offering night climbs, visit lighthousechallengenj.
org for details, Saturday & Sunday, October 15 & 16
- South Jersey District Surfing Contest, call 609-884-5277 for info, Sea Isle City’s 40th Street Beach, 7AM-5PM, Saturday, October 15
- Creative Writing Seminar, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon,
Saturday, October 15
- Miss Avalon Pageant, Avalon Elementary School, 6PM, Saturday, October 15
- Seashell Sunday at the Wetlands Institute, hands-on exhibits, learning & fun, 12:30PM, Sunday, October 16
- Avalon Lions’ Club Pasta Night, Windrift Hotel at 80th Street & the beach, 4:30-7:30PM, Sunday, October 16
- Full Moon Climb at the Cape May Lighthouse, located at Cape May Point State Park in Lower Township, 800-275-4278 for info, 8-10PM, Sunday, October 16
- Adults Only Night Walk at the Cape May County Zoo, quiet after hours tour of the zoo, 6:30-8:30PM, Friday, October 21
- Boo at the Cape May County Zoo, family friendly free events, costume contest, craft stations, magic show, more, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, October 22
- Avalon Police Department Prescription Drug Take Back Day, Public Safety Building, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, October 22
- Stone Harbor’s Harvest Festival, 96th Street Shopping District, hayrides, trick or treating in the shops, more, 11AM-5PM, Saturday, October 22
- Snow Leopard Day at the Cape May County Zoo, snow leopard related programs, activities & zookeeper talks, 11AM-2PM, Sunday, October 23
- Avalon’s Trunk or Treat, trick or treating at the 30th Street parking lot by Avalon’s Community Hall, 5-7PM, Saturday, October 29
- Trick or Treating in Avalon & Stone Harbor, 5-8PM, Monday, October 31
- IPad Workshop, Avalon Public Library, register by calling 609-967-7155, 10AM-
Noon, Saturday, November 5
- Corn Husk Fall Wreath Art Workshop, Avalon Public Library, register by calling 609-967-7155, 10AM-
1PM, Saturday, November 5
- Slither & Snore Sleepover, spend a night in the reptile house at the Cape May County Zoo, enjoy a continental breakfast the next morning, 6PM on Saturday, November 5 thru 9AM on Sunday, November 6
- Big Band Dance featuring Marilyn & the Monroes, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, November 5
- American Legion Post #331 Veterans’ Day Ceremony, Veterans’ Plaza in Avalon, 11AM, Friday, November 11
- Stone Harbor American Legion Veterans’ Day Ceremony, 11617 Second Avenue in Stone Harbor, Noon, Friday, November 11
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday events including a gala Christmas Parade on Saturday evening, downtown shopping district, 10AM-9PM, Friday, November 25-Saturday, November 26
- Avalon’s Festive Friday, Avalon Shopping District’s kick-off of the holiday season, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 25
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier, Noon-9PM, Friday, November 25
- Wetlands Institute’s Wetland Wonderland, 9:30AM-3PM,
Saturday, November 26
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, events for the entire family, downtown Avalon, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, November 26
This one-of-a-kind 7 bedroom, 4,800 sq. ft. home with wrap-around decks, large pool and cabana, and ocean views, sits on a huge 100′ x 110′ lot. With the added plus of being located in one of the nicest sections of Stone Harbor, this home is a winner!
135 87th St., Stone Harbor, $3,025,000, ACTIVE MLS# 172176
Have you been looking to build on a nice beach block with no poles and a wide beach? This 4th back lot on the south side of the street was just reduced and may be just the ticket!
129 114th St., Stone Harbor, $1,955,000, ACTIVE MLS# 169704
Take this opportunity to own on a nice quiet street in Avalon, at the right price! This home on a full-size lot, has a wonderful backyard pool area with an oversize cabana and a huge 2nd floor master bedroom. This is a value that does not come along often.
238 43rd St., Avalon, $1,225,000, ACTIVE MLS# 171799
Enjoy the quiet privacy of this beautiful 5 bedroom home across from Obrien Park, in Avalon’s North End. Located on a corner 60′ x 110′ lot, this home is move-in ready for your summer enjoyment.
199 11th St., Avalon, $1,799,000, ACTIVE MLS# 171478 – Under Contract
Get started on the island in this updated 3 bedroom single-family rancher on an 85’x110′ lot. The lot is shared by the duplex in the rear, but gives you a very large lawn to enjoy. This is a nice street, walking distance to downtown Stone Harbor, and the price is attractive.
349 92nd St., Stone Harbor, $619,900, MLS# 171031 – REDUCED!
This beautiful one owner, Brandywine custom built beach block home was just reduced and is move-in ready. Attached garage and room for a pool. Take a look at the photos!
45 E 11th St., Avalon, $2,195,000, MLS# 166564 – Under Contract
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
107 30th St., Avalon, $439,000, ACTIVE MLS# 170279 – REDUCED!
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
11825 Paradise Dr., Stone Harbor, $2,099,000, ACTIVE MLS #169905 – REDUCED!
Enjoy one of Avalon’s most unique homes and the recently added pool on this oversize 80 x 110 corner lot. If you prefer to build your dream house, this lot will accommodate a 6,000 sq. ft. home.
4656 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,395,000, MLS# 168490 – Under Contract
107 30th Street, Avalon, $439,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 172718
301 80th Street, Avalon, $599,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 172746
792 Sunrise Drive, Avalon, $1,095,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 172721
294 48th Street, Avalon, $1,395,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 172688
7589 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,899,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 172738
160 84th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 172750
4021 Fourth Ave, Avalon, $510,000, SOLD MLS#: 171181
1318 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $640,000, SOLD MLS#: 167460
36 W 18th Street, Avalon, $1,200,000, SOLD MLS#: 171150
250 107th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,225,000, SOLD MLS#: 162635
160 84th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 170684
699 Sunrise Drive, Avalon, $1,385,000, SOLD MLS#: 168996
160 27th Street, Avalon, $1,425,000, SOLD MLS#: 170850
245 65th Street, Avalon, $1,550,000, SOLD MLS#: 170368
8525 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $1,612,500, SOLD MLS#: 170075
271 45th Street, Avalon, $1,635,000, SOLD MLS#: 166756
6063 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,825,000, SOLD MLS#: 169167
114 110th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,925,000, SOLD MLS#: 168140