THE “SECOND SUMMER” has begun! Labor Day Weekend marks the unofficial end to summer, and the start of our “Second Summer” season. C’mon down and enjoy cooler weather, smaller crowds, and a great lineup of fall activities & events! The shore is a bit less hectic at this time of year, but there’s still plenty to enjoy while you’re here!
LAST WEEKEND’S WEATHER turned out to be far nicer than initially predicted, as tropical storm Hermine passed farther off the coast than it was first expected to. This greatly lessened Hermine’s impact on the South Jersey Shore, which saw minimal wind, almost no rain, and very minimal coastal flooding. Some have expressed frustration with the forecast…here’s your chance to hear from a panel of meteorologists and emergency management officials on that very subject. Press of Atlantic City meteorologist Dan Skeldon will be joined by Fox29’s Kathy Orr from Philadelphia, Jonathan Carr of WeatherNJ, Avalon Mayor and Cape May County Emergency Management Director Marty Pagliughi, along with several others, for a two-hour Cape-Atlantic Severe Weather Forum at the Ocean City Music Pier September 15th, from 7pm to 9pm. It’s a chance for the public to ask questions and express concerns about severe weather forecasting and the decisions that are made based on those forecasts.
LOCAL ARTIST DORIS ZOGAS passed away last week in Reading, PA. Her well known watercolor paintings featured many Seven Mile Beach icons such as Hoys 5 & 10, the Avalon Hotel, Smuggler’s Cove, The Windrift, Uncle Bill’s Pancake House, and The Princeton, as well as many other island scenes. Mrs. Zogas took up painting after attending a watercolor workshop in Stone Harbor in 1978.
Taking the plunge! Why not take your own plunge and purchase your own place at the shore? Whether you need a Bayfront home to park your boat, a low maintenance condo, or a palatial beachfront, I’ll help you find the perfect place! Call me today!
CLEANING OUT? It’s time for bulk pickup in both Avalon & Stone Harbor! In Avalon, bulk items may be placed curbside through September 11th, for collection onSeptember 12th. (No construction or remodeling materials will be collected.) In Stone Harbor collection will occur on September 12th; items may be placed curbside up to 72 hours in advance. (No construction or remodeling debris will be collected; no hazardous waste, propane, or paint will be collected.)
FALL MIGRATION FESTIVAL: The Wetlands Institute’s annual Fall Migration Festival will take place September 17th & 18th. The yearly favorite highlights Cape May County’s nature & marine life through a variety of presentations and tours. Butterflies, birds, fish, turtles—come and learn about the beautiful creatures right in our own backyard. Visit www.WetlandsInstitute.
- Sea Isle City’s Fall Food Truck Festival, noon, Friday,
Saturday & Sunday, September 9,10 & 11
- South Jersey Surfcasters’ Fishing Tournament, 30th Street Beach, 5-7AM registration,
Saturday, September 10
- Stone Harbor Property Owners’ Association Fall Members’ Meeting, Harbor Square Theater, 9AM, Saturday, September 10
- Avalon Home & Land Owners’ Association Meeting, Christa Fitzsimmons will speak on Services for Seniors, Avalon Community Hall, 10AM, Saturday, September 10
- Avalon’s Chamber of Commerce End-of-Summer Shop Hop, Avalon Shopping District, Saturday & Sunday, September 10 & 11
- Stone Harbor’s Go Green Fair featuring information on solar energy, re-purposed materials, electric cars, clean energy, natural products, more, 94th Street Parking Lot, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, September 10
- Night Walk at the Cape May County Zoo, after hours tour of the zoo, 6:30-8:30PM, Saturday, September 10
- Avalon History Center Author Lecture featuring Robert Rawlins, author of ‘Tunes of the Twenties,’ 7PM, Saturday, September 10
- Big Band Dance featuring Tony DeLuca & the Paisans, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, September 10
- Stone Harbor’s 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony, Freedom Park at 96th Street & Seng Place, 11AM-1PM, Sunday, September 11
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, call 609-884-5404 for info, Friday, September 16
- 21st Annual Nun’s Beach Surf Contest, 111th Street Beach, 7AM, Saturday, September 17
- Wetlands Institute Fall Migration Festival, guided viewing of migratory birds, demonstrations, live animal presentations, more, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday
&Sunday, September 17 & 18
- Creative Writing Seminar at the Avalon Public Library, register by calling 609-967-7155, 10AM-
Noon, Saturday, September 17
- International Red Panda Day at the Cape May County Zoo, red panda related programs, activities & zookeeper talks, 10AM-3PM, Saturday, September 17
- Stone Harbor’s Savor September 5th Annual Food, Wine & Beer Festival, crafts, kids’ activities, music, more, 96th Street Shopping District, Noon-8PM,Saturday, September 24
- Avalon Performing Arts Council Cabaret Night featuring Billy Joel Tribute & Marino Dance Band, Avalon Community Hall, doors open at 6:30PM, show begins at 7:30PM, Saturday, September 24
- Avalon’s Chamber of Commerce Seafood Festival, music, crafts, kids’ activities, food tent, more, 30th Street Parking Lot & Community Hall in Avalon, 10AM-5PM, Saturday &
Sunday, October 8 & 9
- Big Band Dance featuring John Clark’s Little Big Band, Avalon’s Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, October 8
Take this opportunity to own on a nice quiet street in Avalon, at the right price! This home on a full-size lot, has a wonderful backyard pool area with an oversize cabana and a huge 2nd floor master bedroom. This is a value that does not come along often.
Enjoy the quiet privacy of this beautiful 5 bedroom home across from Obrien Park, in Avalon’s North End. Located on a corner 60′ x 110′ lot, this home is move-in ready for your summer enjoyment.
199 11th St., Avalon, $1,799,000, ACTIVE MLS# 171478 – Under Contract
Get started on the island in this updated 3 bedroom single-family rancher on an 85’x110′ lot. The lot is shared by the duplex in the rear, but gives you a very large lawn to enjoy. This is a nice street, walking distance to downtown Stone Harbor, and the price is attractive.
This beautiful one owner, Brandywine custom built beach block home was just reduced and is move-in ready. Attached garage and room for a pool. Take a look at the photos!
45 E 11th St., Avalon, $2,195,000, MLS# 166564 – Under Contract
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your dream house on this oversize 70 x 100 corner lot, just 2 blocks to the beach, in Stone Harbor’s quiet south-end.
235 118th St., Stone Harbor, $1,495,000, ACTIVE MLS# 170203 – Under Contract
Enjoy your summers with ocean views in this beautiful 3-story south-end Avalon home. You will love the open second floor great room with its cathedral ceiling, light and views; this house looks like new!
6918 Dune Dr., Avalon, $2,095,000, ACTIVE MLS# 170034 – Under Contract
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
Enjoy one of Avalon’s most unique homes and the recently added pool on this oversize 80 x 110 corner lot. If you prefer to build your dream house, this lot will accommodate a 6,000 sq. ft. home.
4656 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,395,000, MLS# 168490 – Under Contract
Just reduced by $200K, this spectacular 6 bedroom home with a pool and wraparound porch sits on an oversize 70 x 110 lot. Beautiful decor, this property must be seen.
9410 Second Avenue #200, Stone Harbor, $375,000, SOLD MLS#: 170610
351 96th Street #413, Stone Harbor, $555,000, SOLD MLS#: 168116
14 Hallman Drive, Stone Harbor Manor, $605,000, SOLD MLS#: 171377
20 Seabreeze Lane, Avalon Manor, $835,000, SOLD MLS#: 170393
139 94th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,230,000, SOLD MLS#: 167772
261 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $1,425,000, SOLD MLS#: 170711
11 S Pelican Drive, Avalon, $2,375,000, SOLD MLS#: 169696
170 104th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,575,000, SOLD MLS#: 165284
218 120th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,100,000, SOLD MLS#: 171048