MIGRATING SHOREBIRDS are visible in many locations throughout Cape May County at this time of year. Mid-August through mid-September are peak times for spotting birds as they travel southward, with Cape May County’s geography acting as a funnel for birds preparing to cross Delaware Bay, increasing the number of birds visible compared to other areas. Stone Harbor Point is a great location for spotting birds, and so is Avalon’s north-end, where First Avenue and Avalon Avenue hit the seawall. Grab your binoculars or camera and have a look!
SAILOR’S DELIGHT! For those with sailing in their blood, August is a great month at the Shore! The AJ Meerwald, New Jersey’s official tall ship, has been in Cape May for a couple of weeks, and will be here through the end of the month. Various public sails are offered. For tickets, visit http://bayshorecenter.
STONE HARBOR’S BACK BAY DREDGING contractor has proposed resuming the operation via mechanical dredging, as opposed to hydraulic dredging. Last year’s hydraulic dredging was suspended after problems with the dewatering of dredge material at the 81st Street Municipal Marina parking lot. Mechanical dredging—scooping up material with backhoe-like buckets—allows for dredged material to be dewatered more easily, utilizing Portland cement. The cement will be mixed with dredge material before it is trucked off site. A formal notice of the requested change of methods was recently posted on the US Army Corps of Engineer’s website.
“THE SECOND SUMMER” is almost upon us! As Labor Day approaches you can sense the crowds thinning a bit, and cooler weather is around the corner. The “Second Summer” also brings with it a lineup of great events and activities. See below for a list!
WHY NOT MAKE AVALON & STONE HARBOR a permanent part of your life? If you enjoyed your summer vacation here on the Island, consider purchasing a place of your very own, to use and enjoy any time you want! Call me to discuss your needs and begin your search!
- Avalon’s Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Steel:30, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 7PM, Thursday, August 25
- Stone Harbor’s Sidewalk Sale, downtown shopping district, 9AM-7PM,Saturday, August 27
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour led by a Wetlands Institute docent, meet at the Egret Espy Trail entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM,Saturday & Sunday, August 27 & 28
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM,Sunday, August 28
- Stone Harbor’s Family Night featuring Cape May Library Story Telling and Puppet Show, Stone Harbor Fire House, 7PM, Monday, August 29
- Stone Harbor’s Tuesdays at the Tower featuring Soulshine, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 7PM, Tuesday, August 30
- Stone Harbor Family Movie Night on the Lawn featuring Cars 2, Stone Harbor Elementary School, 8PM, Wednesday, August 31
- IPad Workshop at the Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, September 3
- South Jersey Surfcasters Fishing Tournament, 30th Street Beach, 5-7AMregistration, Saturday, September 10
- Avalon’s Chamber of Commerce End-of-Summer Shop Hop, Avalon Shopping District, Saturday & Sunday, September 10 & 11
- Stone Harbor Green Fair featuring information on solar energy, re-purposed materials, electric cars, clean energy, natural products, more, 94th Street Parking Lot, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, September 10
- Night Walk at the Cape May County Zoo, after hours tour of the zoo, 6:30-8:30PM, Saturday, September 10
- Stone Harbor’s 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony, Freedom Park at 96th Street & Seng Place, 11AM-1PM, Sunday, September 11
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, call 609-884-5404 for info, Friday, September 16
- 21st Annual Nun’s Beach Surf Contest, 111th Street Beach, 7AM, Saturday, September 17
- Wetlands Institute Fall Migration Festival, guided viewing of migratory birds, demonstrations, live animal presentations, more, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday &Sunday, September 17 & 18
- Stone Harbor’s Savor September 5th Annual Food, Wine & Beer Festival, 96th Street Shopping District, Noon-8PM, Saturday, September 24
- Avalon Performing Arts Council Cabaret Night featuring Billy Joel Tribute & Marino Dance Band, Avalon Community Hall, doors open at 6:30PM, show begins at 7:30PM, Saturday, September 24
Take this opportunity to own on a nice quiet street in Avalon, at the right price! This home on a full-size lot, has a wonderful backyard pool area with an oversize cabana and a huge 2nd floor master bedroom. This is a value that does not come along often.
Enjoy the quiet privacy of this beautiful 5 bedroom home across from Obrien Park, in Avalon’s North End. Located on a corner 60′ x 110′ lot, this home is move-in ready for your summer enjoyment.
Get started on the island in this updated 3 bedroom single-family rancher on an 85’x110′ lot. The lot is shared by the duplex in the rear, but gives you a very large lawn to enjoy. This is a nice street, walking distance to downtown Stone Harbor, and the price is attractive.
This beautiful one owner, Brandywine custom built beach block home was just reduced and is move-in ready. Attached garage and room for a pool. Take a look at the photos!
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your dream house on this oversize 70 x 100 corner lot, just 2 blocks to the beach, in Stone Harbor’s quiet south-end.
235 118th St., Stone Harbor, $1,495,000, ACTIVE MLS# 170203 – Under Contract
Enjoy your summers with ocean views in this beautiful 3-story south-end Avalon home. You will love the open second floor great room with its cathedral ceiling, light and views; this house looks like new!
6918 Dune Dr., Avalon, $2,095,000, ACTIVE MLS# 170034 – Under Contract
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
Enjoy one of Avalon’s most unique homes and the recently added pool on this oversize 80 x 110 corner lot. If you prefer to build your dream house, this lot will accommodate a 6,000 sq. ft. home.
4656 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,395,000, MLS# 168490 – Under Contract
Just reduced by $200K, this spectacular 6 bedroom home with a pool and wraparound porch sits on an oversize 70 x 110 lot. Beautiful decor, this property must be seen.
7929 Dune Drive, Avalon, $295,000, SOLD MLS#: 169198
700 First Avenue, Avalon, $490,000, SOLD MLS#: 170561
4017 Fourth Ave. Unit A, Avalon, $730,000, SOLD MLS#: 170683
205 54th Street, Avalon, $1,125,000, SOLD MLS#: 168960
26 E 25th Street, Avalon, $2,575,000, SOLD MLS#: 164438