LOU BACHMAN, long-time proprietor of Smuggler’s Cove in Stone Harbor, passed away last week, at the age of 88. Generations of Stone Harbor fishermen and crabbers remember Lou fondly. Whether you needed bait, a rod or reel repair, advice on how to catch fish, or just a cup of coffee on a rainy morning, a visit to Lou was in order. Lou was a well-known icon throughout the community, having been a “local” since the early 1970s. Several years ago Stone Harbor’s “North Basin” was officially renamed “Smuggler’s Cove” indicative of the influence Lou and his tackle shop have had on the town. Visitation will be held from 10am to noon Saturday at Our Saviour Lutheran Church, at 93rd and Third Avenue in Stone Harbor, with a memorial service to follow. After the memorial service friends will gather on the dock at Smuggler’s Cove to share memories of Lou.
A WAYWARD DOLPHIN was rescued from a small creek off Delaware Bay, near West Hand Avenue in Middle Township on Sunday. The 400 lb. dolphin likely entered the creek at high tide while searching for food. After being rescued it was examined and found to be healthy, and was then released into Delaware Bay.
The US Air Force Thunderbirds will return to Atlantic City for the first time since 2014.
THE US AIR FORCE THUNDERBIRDS will return to Atlantic City on Wednesday, August 17th, for the annual Atlantic City Air Show. The air show, which can be seen anywhere on the Atlantic City beach or boardwalk, is said to be the largest on the east coast aside from Fort Lauderdale, and features numerous jets, vintage aircraft, and other aerial demonstrations. Last year’s show took place in early September and was centered around the US Navy Blue Angels. Decreased attendance due to the September date lead to the change back to the show’s traditional August date.
PERSEIDS “OUTBURST”: Early August brings the annual Perseid meteor shower, and 2016 is predicted by NASA to be an “outburst year”, with up to 200 meteors visible per hour Wednesdayand Thursday. South Jersey’s pinelands and beaches are some of the best viewing areas, so long as the skies are clear enough.
WHITE MARLIN are showing up in the canyon waters off the New Jersey coast, about 65 miles from shore. Gulfstream water as warm as 82 degrees has been reported, making for near ideal fishing conditions. If you don’t have your own offshore-capable boat, charters can be arranged, including daytrips or “overnighters.” For those who wish to stay a bit closer to home, flounder are still being caught in the bay and inlet.
A SECTION OF OCEAN DRIVE will be closed over the next several days for an emergency sewer main repair. Ocean Drive will be closed in both directions from 38th Street to 42nd Street beginning Wednesday, August 10th. The street will reopen for the weekend, then will be closed again Monday, August 15th. Repairs are expected to be finished on or before Friday August 19th.
- Avalon’s Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Jersey Sound, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 7PM, Thursday, August 11
- Thursdays on the Lawn Concert featuring Jim Bannach, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Stone Harbor, 7:30PM, Thursday, August 11
- South Jersey Lifeguard Championship Races, Avalon, 6:30PM, Friday, August 12
- Stone Harbor American Legion Post #331 Pancake Breakfast, Stephen Ludlam Post at the NW corner of 117th Street & Second Avenue, 8AM, Saturday, August 13
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Annual Meeting, Avalon Mayor Martin Pagliughi is the featured speaker, Avalon Community Hall, 9:30AM, Saturday, August 13
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour led by a Wetlands Institute docent, meet at the Egret Espy Trail entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Saturday &
Sunday, August 13 & 14
- Bay Atlantic Symphony Concert, Avalon Elementary School, 7PM, Saturday, August 13
- Stone Harbor Surf & Turf 5 Miler, Stone Harbor Recreation Field, registration at 6:45AM, race starts at 8AM, Sunday, August 14
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, August 14
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents The Atlantic City Jazz Band, proceeds donated to the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386 at 419 Congress Street in Cape May,2PM, Sunday, August 14
- Stone Harbor’s Family Night featuring the Wetlands Institute: Sea Creatures with Amazing Features, Stone Harbor Fire House, 7PM, Monday, August 15
- Stone Harbor’s Tuesdays at the Tower featuring Eddie Morgan & Rebirth, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 7PM, Tuesday, August 16
- Avalon’s Big Beach Movie featuring Pan, 30th Street & the beach, dusk, Tuesday, August 16
- Stone Harbor Family Movie Night on the Lawn featuring Despicable Me, Stone Harbor Elementary School, 8PM, Wednesday, August 17
- Avalon’s Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring The Star Band, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 7PM, Thursday, August 18
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, call 609-884-5404 for info, Thursday, August 18
- Stone Harbor’s Family Night featuring Steve Serwatka’s New Jersey Nature Animal Show, Stone Harbor Fire House, 7PM, Monday, August 22
- Stone Harbor’s Sidewalk Sale, downtown shopping district, 9AM-7PM, Saturday, August 27
Enjoy the quiet privacy of this beautiful 5 bedroom home across from Obrien Park, in Avalon’s North End. Located on a corner 60′ x 110′ lot, this home is move-in ready for your summer enjoyment.
Get started on the island in this updated 3 bedroom single-family rancher on an 85’x110′ lot. The lot is shared by the duplex in the rear, but gives you a very large lawn to enjoy. This is a nice street, walking distance to downtown Stone Harbor, and the price is attractive.
This beautiful one owner, Brandywine custom built beach block home was just reduced and is move-in ready. Attached garage and room for a pool. Take a look at the photos!
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your dream house on this oversize 70 x 100 corner lot, just 2 blocks to the beach, in Stone Harbor’s quiet south-end.
235 118th St., Stone Harbor, $1,495,000, ACTIVE MLS# 170203 – Under Contract
Enjoy your summers with ocean views in this beautiful 3-story south-end Avalon home. You will love the open second floor great room with its cathedral ceiling, light and views; this house looks like new!
6918 Dune Dr., Avalon, $2,095,000, ACTIVE MLS# 170034 – Under Contract
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
Enjoy one of Avalon’s most unique homes and the recently added pool on this oversize 80 x 110 corner lot. If you prefer to build your dream house, this lot will accommodate a 6,000 sq. ft. home.
4656 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,395,000, MLS# 168490 – Under Contract
Just reduced by $200K, this spectacular 6 bedroom home with a pool and wraparound porch sits on an oversize 70 x 110 lot. Beautiful decor, this property must be seen.
628 21st Street 2nd floor, Avalon, $455,000, SOLD MLS#: 166840
700 First Avenue, Avalon, $490,000, SOLD MLS#: 170561
237 44th Street, Avalon, $972,000, SOLD MLS#: 168770
115 120th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,100,000, SOLD MLS#: 165421
26 E 25th Street, Avalon, $2,575,000, SOLD MLS#: 164438