MORE HOT WEATHER is on tap for the next several days, with daytime highs predicted to reach well into the 80s through the weekend. Both the temperature and humidity levels will be down a bit from what we’ve experienced in recent days, making it a bit more comfortable.
BEAT THE HEAT! The ocean water temperature is a delightful 75 degrees along the beach, after a couple of days of sea breezes pushed warm surface water back toward shore. A gentle sea breeze is the best way to cool off on a hot, humid summer day—aside from a dip in the ocean!
A fishing boat passes by the Avalon Fishing Pier at sunrise. The look of the pier has changed since its recent extension.
STONE HARBOR hopes to continue its back bay dredging project in the fall, and is working with a consultant and contractor to submit permit paperwork to the NJDEP. The municipal marina parking lot at 80th Street would be used once again as a dewatering site for dredge material. An earlier dredging project was halted after problems at the same dewatering site were discovered.
FUN STUFF! It’s time to take advantage of all the summer activities available in the area! Catch a movie on the beach, climb a lighthouse under a full moon, take in a concert, tour the Bird Sanctuary! See below for a variety of events to choose from—then make time for yourself to enjoy them!
- Harlem Globetrotters at the Wildwood Convention Center for four clinics and four games, Wednesday, July 27 – Saturday, July 30. Visit www.harlemglobetrotters.
com/wildwood for tickets.
- Avalon’s Pets on Parade, downtown Avalon, 5:30PM, Thursday, July 28
- Avalon’s Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Blondage Rocks Trio, Veterans Plaza, 7PM, Thursday, July 28
- Thursdays on the Lawn Concert featuring Heart to Heart, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Stone Harbor, 7:30PM, Thursday, July 28
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour led by a Wetlands Institute docent, meet at the Egret Espy Trail entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Saturday& Sunday
, July 30 & 31
- Stone Harbor’s Festival of Lights sponsored by the Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, 7PM, Saturday, July 30
- David J. Kerr Memorial Lifeguard Races, Avalon, 6:15PM, Sunday, July 31
- Stone Harbor’s Family Night featuring Hula Hoops Dancer Performance, Stone Harbor Fire House, 7PM, Monday, August 1
- Avalon’s National Night Out, 30th Street Parking Lot next to Avalon’s Community Hall, 6-8PM, Tuesday, August 2
- Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund Artists & Friends Art Show, Avalon Yacht Club, 6-9PM, Tuesday, August 2
- Stone Harbor’s Tuesdays at the Tower highlighting National Night Out, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 7-8:30PM, Tuesday, August 2
- Avalon’s Big Beach Movie featuring The Good Dinosaur, 30th Street & the beach, dusk, Tuesday, August 2
- Stone Harbor Family Movie Night on the Lawn featuring The Good Dinosaur, Stone Harbor Elementary School, 8PM, Wednesday, August 3
- Avalon’s Baby Parade, 21st Street & Ocean Drive to Veteran’s Plaza, 6PM, Thursday, August 4
- Avalon’s Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Loud ‘N Clear, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 7PM, Thursday, August 4
- Thursdays on the Lawn Concert featuring Bob Campanel, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Stone Harbor, 7:30PM, Thursday, August 4
- Stone Harbor’s Arts & Crafts Festival, Stone Harbor Recreation Field, 9AM-4PM, Saturday & Sun
day, August 6 & 7
- Cape Regional 7 Mile Island Designer Home Tour, 11AM-4PM, Saturday, August 6
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, August 7
- Stone Harbor’s Family Night featuring the Sciencetellers, Stone Harbor Fire House, 7PM, Monday, August 8
- Stone Harbor’s Tuesdays at the Tower featuring The Seabillys, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 7PM, Tuesday, August 9
- Stone Harbor Museum presents ‘On the Way to Cape May’ lecture titled The Making of a Barrier Island by Randy Bauer, Avalon History Center, 7PM,Wednesday, August 10
- Avalon’s Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Jersey Sound, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 7PM, Thursday, August 11
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Annual Meeting, Avalon Community Hall, 9:30AM, Saturday, August 13
- Bay Atlantic Symphony Concert, Avalon Elementary School, 7PM, Saturday, August 13
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents Traditional Jazz, proceeds donated to the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386 at 419 Congress Street in Cape May, 2PM, Sunday, August 14
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, call 609-884-5404 for info, Thursday, August 18
Enjoy the quiet privacy of this beautiful 5 bedroom home across from Obrien Park, in Avalon’s North End. Located on a corner 60′ x 110′ lot, this home is move-in ready for your summer enjoyment.
Get started on the island in this updated 3 bedroom single-family rancher on an 85’x110′ lot. The lot is shared by the duplex in the rear, but gives you a very large lawn to enjoy. This is a nice street, walking distance to downtown Stone Harbor, and the price is attractive.
This beautiful one owner, Brandywine custom built beach block home was just reduced and is move-in ready. Attached garage and room for a pool. Take a look at the photos!
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your dream house on this oversize 70 x 100 corner lot, just 2 blocks to the beach, in Stone Harbor’s quiet south-end.
235 118th St., Stone Harbor, $1,495,000, ACTIVE MLS# 170203 – Under Contract
Enjoy your summers with ocean views in this beautiful 3-story south-end Avalon home. You will love the open second floor great room with its cathedral ceiling, light and views; this house looks like new!
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
Enjoy one of Avalon’s most unique homes and the recently added pool on this oversize 80 x 110 corner lot. If you prefer to build your dream house, this lot will accommodate a 6,000 sq. ft. home.
4656 Dune Drive, Avalon, $1,395,000, MLS# 168490 – Under Contract
Just reduced by $200K, this spectacular 6 bedroom home with a pool and wraparound porch sits on an oversize 70 x 110 lot. Beautiful decor, this property must be seen.
Just reduced by $400K, this home sits on an oversize beach block corner lot, it’s the 4th house from the beach. Utility poles and wires are being removed from this block to enhance your ocean view. This is an opportunity at $ 2.295m.
115 120th St., Stone Harbor, $2,195,000, MLS# 165421 – Under Contract
7929 Dune Drive, #116, Avalon, $347,000, SOLD MLS#: 167397
1314 Ocean Drive Unit C1, Avalon, $620,000, SOLD MLS#: 161045
225 14 Street, Avalon, $925,000, SOLD MLS#: 170867