AVALON’S BEACHES are now ready to go for the summer season after a major sand backpassing project was completed last weekend. 55,000 cubic yards of sand were scraped from the 32nd to 38th Street beaches and moved to north-end beaches to replenish them. Erosion from winter storms had moved the sand southward; the backpassing project returned it to its point of origin. Rather than put the project out for bid, the work was performed by the Avalon Department of Public Works, which rented heavy equipment for the job. A major beachfill project is anticipated prior to the 2017 season.
THE HEREFORD INLET LIGHTHOUSE MARITIME FESTIVAL takes place this Saturday & Sunday at 111 N. Central Avenue in North Wildwood. The festival will feature music, food, crafts, historians, and tours of the lighthouse, while celebrating South Jersey’s maritime history. The Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is still in operation, and its light is visible at night from many areas of Avalon & Stone Harbor.
OTHER MAJOR WEEKEND EVENTS include an Open House at Avalon’s Public Library, and Sea Isle City’s Skimmer Festival. For something a little different, try a “Full Moon Climb” at the Cape May Lighthouse on Monday evening, June 20th!
$832 PER POUND! That’s what a prize-winning 212-pound mako shark was worth in the recent South Jersey Shark Tournament. The mako, caught by a crew of sport fishermen from New York, won $176,414 in prize money! Whether you’re looking to catch a big mako shark, or something a bit more modest, seek advice (and bait!) from local tackle shops, including Smuggler’s Cove in Stone Harbor, or Moran’s Dockside and Avalon Hodge Podge in Avalon.
ROAD CONSTRUCTION, detours, and delays are often part of getting to the Shore on busy summer weekends. But the next time you grumble about road construction slowing your trip, consider the early options for reaching your favorite Island…see below for a look at how everybody got here a hundred years ago!
The way visitors used to get to the Island! This view of 96th Street, looking east, shows an early Stone Harbor Railroad train. Another rail line ran down the middle of Second Avenue (Dune Drive) from Avalon.
3.83 PERCENT! That’s the average rate for conforming loans of $417,000 and below. Jumbo loans over $417,000 are a bit less, averaging 3.81% according to data from the Mortgage Bankers Association. It’s a fantastic time to take advantage of low rates, whether purchasing a shore home, or refinancing your primary residence. Whether you’re ready to get started with a purchase, or simply need a recommendation on a good mortgage lender, please call me!
NEXT WEEK, watch for our list of July 4th events to enjoy!
- Stone Harbor’s Chelsea Place Park, grand re-opening, 9:30AM, Friday, June 17
- Avalon Performing Arts Council 29th Annual Art Show & Sale, opening night & preview from 7-9PM on Friday, June 17, show & sale from10AM-4PM on Saturday, June 18
- Avalon Free Public Library Open House, games, crafts, food, face painting, more, 9AM-1PM, Saturday, June 18
- Hereford Inlet Lighthouse Maritime Festival, artists, crafters, authors, food, music, more, 111 N. Central Avenue, North Wildwood, 10AM-5PM on
Saturday, June 18 & 10AM-4PM on Sunday, June 19
- Avalon Historical Society Olde House Tour, 1-4PM, Saturday, June 18
- Sea Isle City’s Skimmer Weekend, food, crafts, live music, family activities, more, Saturday & Sunday, June 18 & 19
- Stone Harbor Farmers Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 19
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour led by a Wetlands Institute docent, meet at the Egret Espy Path at 114th Street & 2nd Avenue, 10AM,Sunday, June 19
- Cape May County Zoo Giraffe Day, giraffe related programs, activities & zookeeper talks, 10AM-3PM, Sunday, June 19
- St. Mary’s Episcopal Church Strawberry Festival, 6:30-8:30PM, Sunday, June 19
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, 8-10PM, Monday, June 20
- Avalon History Center Trivia Night, 7PM, Wednesday, June 22
- Cape May County Zoo Night Out with the Critters, BBQ dinner & behind the scenes look at the animals, 5:30-8:30PM, Friday, June 24
- Stone Harbor Farmers Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 26
- Stone Harbor Family Night, family fun, check out the fire trucks, more, Stone Harbor Firehouse, 7PM. Monday, June 27
- Avalon’s Children’s Mini Event featuring ventriloquist Bob Conrad, Avalon Elementary School Gymnasium, 11AM, Tuesday, June 28
- Avalon’s Big Beach Movie featuring Cinderella, 30th Street beach, dusk, Tuesday, June 28
- On the Way to Cape May historic lecture, Avalon History Center, 7PM, Wednesday, June 29
- Stone Harbor Movie Night on the Lawn featuring Open Season: Scared Silly, Stone Harbor Elementary School, 8PM, Wednesday, June 29
- Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring 63rd Army Band, Veteran’s Plaza, 7PM, Thursday, June 30
- Stone Harbor’s Tuesday at the Tower featuring the Mighty Parrot Band, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 7-8:30PM, Tuesday, July 5
This beautiful one owner, Brandywine custom built beach block home was just reduced and is move-in ready. Attached garage and room for a pool. Take a look at the photos!
Walk to town and the beach from your totally renovated Breakwater condo on 30th Street. When you are not on the beach, enjoy your new pool.
Build your dream house on this oversize 70 x 100 corner lot, just 2 blocks to the beach, in Stone Harbor’s quiet south-end.
Enjoy your summers with ocean views in this beautiful 3-story south-end Avalon home. You will love the open second floor great room with its cathedral ceiling, light and views; this house looks like new!
Build your 4,500 sq. ft. dream Bayfront home on this empty 60′ x 155′ lot in Stone Harbor’s desirable South-end. This is a great location… Enjoy unlimited bay/wetlands/sunset views and walk just two blocks to the beach.
Your brand new dream Bayfront home just came on the market! The design, landscaping, quality, and décor of this new home with a large pool by the bay, is simply extraordinary and amazing. It needs to be seen!
549 42nd St., Avalon, $4,595,000, MLS# 169425 – Under Contract
Enjoy one of Avalon’s most unique homes and the recently added pool on this oversize 80 x 110 corner lot. If you prefer to build your dream house, this lot will accommodate a 6,000 sq. ft. home.
Beautiful brand new Tom Welsh home with a pool in Stone Harbor. Lovely wall colors and stunning kitchen. Walk to the beach or the center of town.
249 88th St., Stone Harbor, $1,795,000, ACTIVE MLS# 163969 – Under Contract
Just reduced by $200K, this spectacular 6 bedroom home with a pool and wraparound porch sits on an oversize 70 x 110 lot. Beautiful decor, this property must be seen.
Just reduced by $400K, this home sits on an oversize beach block corner lot, it’s the 4th house from the beach. Utility poles and wires are being removed from this block to enhance your ocean view. This is an opportunity at $ 2.295m.
115 120th St., Stone Harbor, $2,195,000, ACTIVE MLS# 165421 – Under Contract
3283 Dune Drive, Avalon, $235,000, SOLD MLS#: 170272
317 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $479,500, SOLD MLS#: 169048
10800 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $510,000, SOLD MLS#: 167559
404 24th Street, Avalon, $974,999, SOLD MLS#: 170676
231 122nd Street, Stone Harbor, $2,000,000, SOLD MLS#: 166606
167 93rd Street, Stone Harbor, $2,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 164023