PROTECTING DIAMONDBACK TERRAPINS is the focus of a bill passed by the New Jersey Assembly. The bill bans the harvesting of the turtles, which are commonly found in waterways in coastal New Jersey. During the late spring many turtles are also found along roadways, as the turtles seek higher ground on which to lay eggs. Turtles are often killed by automobiles as they cross roads on their way to or from their egg laying sites. The bill passed by the Assembly now heads to the New Jersey Senate for consideration. For more on terrapins and their harvest, see this Q&A page from The Wetlands Institute:
SNEAK PEEK: Whether you can’t wait for your vacation to begin or simply need a mid-week peek at the ocean, click here for a live view of the ocean as well as Avalon’s Fishing Pier:
PHOTO CONTEST & VINTAGE CAMERAS: The Avalon Historical Society is looking for photographs—old and new! Amateur photographers are invited to submit photos as part of the 13th Annual Photography Contest. Categories for 2016 are: Avalon, Nature, Scenic, and People. Submissions must be made to the Historical Society no later than 2pm on May 31st to be considered for judging. Vintage Avalon photos are also being sought, to be displayed along with vintage camera equipment during the months of May and June. If you have a vintage Avalon photograph you’d like to share, contact the Avalon History Center at (609) 967-0090.
HOBIE CATS and other sail craft have long lined the beach at Stone Harbor’s southern end—but not this year. Council passed a resolution to refund sail craft storage fees to those who have already paid them. Damage from recent storms has left that area of the beach unsuitable for sail craft. Mayor Suzanne Walters said the borough looked into using other areas of the beach, but that it “will not work this year.”
- Avalon’s Spring Dune Grass Planting, volunteers needed, meet at Community Hall at 30th & Dune at 8:30 for coffee, donuts & a planting demo, 9AM planting start, at noon return to Community Hall for a free lunch, Saturday April 16
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, April 16
- Cape May County Zoo Night Walk, after hours tour of the zoo, snacks & drinks provided, 6:30-8:30PM, Friday, April 22
- Exchange Club of Ocean City’s Roger LaRosa Charity Golf Classic benefiting children, community & country, register at 609-412-9607, for sponsorships call609-517-6035, Linwood Country Club, registration & lunch at 11:30AM, Monday, May 2
- Avalon Historical Society Annual Photo Contest, Monday, May 2-Tuesday, May 31
- Brendan Borek 11th Annual Golf Tournament, register, donate or sponsor by visiting www.brendansfund.org, Stone Harbor Golf Club, Noon, Friday, May 6
- Avalon Wine & Spirits Festival, more than 200 wines, flavored vodkas, scotch, bourbon, more, passed hors d’oeuvres from local restaurants, silent auction, tickets available at the Avalon Chamber of Commerce or Fred’s Liquor Stores – Avalon & Stone Harbor, 6:30-9PM, Friday, May 6
- Garden Club of Stone Harbor’s Plant & Bake Sale, Water Works area at 96th & Second Avenue, 8AM-2PM, Saturday, May 7
- Avalon Boro Wide Yard Sale, pick up map at Avalon Community Hall at 8AM, yard sale begins at 9AM, Saturday, May 7
- Avalon Community Paper Shredding Day, free shredding for Avalon residents & property owners, Avalon Public Works at 14th & Dune Drive, 9AM-2PM, Saturday, May 7
- IPad Workshop, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday May 7
- Stone Harbor’s Spring Tide Festival, music, beer & wine garden, food, games, kids’ activities, more, 96th Street between 2nd & 3rd, 11AM-6PM, Saturday, May 7th
- Avalon Bulk Pick-up, items to curb between April 29 & May 8 for pick-up on Monday, May 9
- Cape May County Senior Jamboree, Avalon Community Hall, 10AM-2PM, Thursday, May 12
- Avalon Garden Club Plant Sale, Avalon Community Hall, Noon-4PM on Friday, May 13 & 9AM-4PM on Saturday, May 14
- Stone Harbor Garden Club Community Yard Sale, 96th Street Parking Lot, 8AM-2PM, Saturday, May 14
- IPhones Workshop, popular apps for reading books, magazines & news, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, May 14
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society presents the Ben Mauger Vintage Jazz Band, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern NJ, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street, Cape May, 2-4PM, Sunday, May 15
- Stone Harbor Bulk Pick-up, items to curb up to 72 hours prior to pick-up on Monday, May 16
- Spring Shorebird & Horseshoe Crab Festival, interactive activities for all ages, Wetlands Institute, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday & Sunday, May 21 & 22
- Avalon Garden Club Fashion Show & Luncheon, Avalon Yacht Club, Noon, Tuesday, May 25
- Stone Harbor Beach Opening Ceremony, 95th Street Beach, 9:30 AM, Friday, May 27
- Cape Regional Auxiliary Antique Show, Avalon Community Hall, Preview Gala on Friday, May 27 at 6PM & antique show on Saturday, May 28
If you have ever considered starting your own business in Stone Harbor, here is your opportunity! The iconic Terry Ivory jewelry store in the heart of the 96th St. business district is for sale. This sale is for the real estate only (the unit), not the jewelry business. In addition, 100% financing is available to qualified buyers.
257 96th St., Stone Harbor, $657,000, ACTIVE MLS# 169476 – Price Reduced
Your brand new dream Bayfront home just came on the market! The design, landscaping, quality, and décor of this new home with a large pool by the bay, is simply extraordinary and amazing. It needs to be seen!
Just reduced, this stunning professionally decorated, 3 bedroom/3 bath, 2-story condo is move-in ready for your summer enjoyment. If being in the center of town and walking to everything is for you, so is this condo! Take a look at the photos.
Enjoy one of Avalon’s most unique homes and the recently added pool on this oversize 80 x 110 corner lot. If you prefer to build your dream house, this lot will accommodate a 6,000 sq. ft. home.
Walk one block to the beach and town from this beautiful condo that was totally renovated in 2014. The 4 units share a large pool. This property is a great choice to enter the Avalon market at an affordable price.
109 30th St., Avalon, $459,000, ACTIVE MLS# 165838 – Under Contract
Beautifully decorated high-end 5 bedroom home with detached garage at the right price. Take a look at the photos; newer properties at this price point seldom appear on the market.
261 45th St., Avalon, $1,569,000, ACTIVE MLS# 168273 – Under Contract
This south-end 4-bedroom Bayfront townhouse with a boat slip and a garage, has unobstructed sunset views. Interior was completely renovated down to the studs in 2011, and the exterior was refurbished in January, 2016.
Beautiful brand new Tom Welsh home with a pool in Stone Harbor. Lovely wall colors and stunning kitchen. Walk to the beach or the center of town.
Enjoy incredible views of the bay, wetlands, Cedar Island, and daily sunsets from your 3-bedroom Camalon condo. The only condo available in the Camalon, this unit has a new kitchen and its own boat slip.
1688 Ocean Dr., Unit A-3, Avalon, $689,000, ACTIVE MLS# 167341 – Under Contract
Build your beach front dream house in Stone Harbor. Just reduced by $250K, to well below assessed lot value. This lot is 75′ wide across the beach front, providing spectacular ocean views.
2 100th St., Stone Harbor, $3,099,000. ACTIVE MLS# 159871 – Under Contract
Enjoy life in this beautiful, fully furnished, 6 bedroom/5.5 bath home in Avalon’s desirable South-end. Walk just 1.5 blocks to the widest section of Avalon’s beaches. If you would rather be pool-side, you will love this unique and amazing cabana.
249 76th St., Avalon, $2,195,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS# 165654 – Under Contract
Just reduced by $200K, this spectacular 6 bedroom home with a pool and wraparound porch sits on an oversize 70 x 110 lot. Beautiful decor, this property must be seen.
Just reduced by $400K, this home sits on an oversize beach block corner lot, it’s the 4th house from the beach. Utility poles and wires are being removed from this block to enhance your ocean view. This is an opportunity at $ 2.295m.
54 E 27th Street, Unit 1 Street, Avalon, $512,500, SOLD MLS#: 167927
1127 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor Manor, $725,000, SOLD MLS#: 166542
570 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,175,000, SOLD MLS#: 168307
55 W 33rd Street, Avalon, $1,900,000, SOLD MLS#: 168196
2148 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $2,195,000, SOLD MLS#: 167706