MOTHER NATURE delivered a wallop to Cape May County Friday evening through Sunday, including significant snowfall and record tidal flooding in some towns. Several inches of snow accumulated before changing to rain mid-storm, then ending again as snow. Stone Harbor and Cape May saw record flood levels in certain areas as the storm surge coincided with high tides and a full moon.
GOOD NEWS AND BAD: In Avalon & Stone Harbor low lying buildings suffered flooding, especially along 96th Street, Ocean Drive, and parts of Dune Drive. Homes built to higher elevations, and those in higher areas of the Island saw no flooding. Along the bay many floating docks were displaced or damaged. Beach erosion has been reported in a variety of areas. Loose items floated into the streets in some locations. However, many areas of the Island appeared completely untouched, aside from a few inches of remaining snow.
KUDOS to police, fire, EMS, public works, utility crews, and emergency management personnel on Seven Mile Beach (and throughout the county) who worked tirelessly to keep residents safe, get streets cleared, and restore electrical power as quickly as possible.
AVALON HAS ANNOUNCED it will pick up all storm related debris this week; place items curbside by Sunday, January 31st.
The day after the storm departed Avalon’s 32nd Street beach was quite peaceful. Pilings to be used for the extension of the Avalon Fishing Pier are seen resting on the beach.
MORE GOOD NEWS: Just 17 weeks till Memorial Day Weekend!
- Covered Dish Dinner at The Wetlands Institute, topic is ‘Listening Closely…Acoustic Monitoring for Bats in the Northeast Region,’ 6-7:30PM, Friday, January 29
- Wetlands Institute Lunch ‘n Learn, topic is ‘The Cape May Raptor Banding Project,’ bring your lunch; coffee & dessert will be provided, 11:45AM-1PM, Friday, February 5
- IPad Workshop titled ‘Photography on the iPad,’ Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155,10AM-Noon, Saturday, February 6
- 13th Annual Super Bowl Bash benefiting Friends in Need, beverages, great food, big screen TVs to watch the game, silent auction, raffles & fun, The Princeton, Sunday, February 7
- Wetlands Institute Lunch ‘n Learn, topic is ‘Tracking New Jersey’s American Oystercatchers Through Time & Space,’ bring your lunch; coffee & dessert will be provided, 11:45AM-1PM, Friday, February 12
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Meeting with Chuck McDonnell, the Director of the Avalon Recreation Department speaking, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, February 13
- Sea Isle City’s Polar Plunge, 40th Street Beach, 2PM, Saturday, February 13
- Big Band Dance featuring Marilyn & the Monroes, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, February 13
- Valentine’s Day Tour at the Cape May County Zoo, adult tour meandering through the zoo talking about the courtship of the animals, call 609-465-5271 for info, 1-2PM, Sunday, February 14
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents the Al Harrison Dixieland Band, VFW Post #386, 419 Congress Street in Cape May, proceeds benefit the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, 2-4PM, Sunday, February 14
- Wetlands Institute Lunch ‘n Learn, topic is ‘Piloting the Beneficial Re-use of Dredged Material for Salt Marsh Restoration in Cape May County,’ bring your lunch; coffee & dessert will be provided,11:45AM-1PM, Friday, February 19
- Covered Dish Dinner at The Wetlands Institute, topic is ‘Engaging Communities to Save Diamondback Terrapins: Lessons from the Georgia Coast,’ 6-7:30PM, Friday, February 26
- Avalon’s Shop-A-Holics Event, designers, deals & drinks, The Princeton & The Whitebrier, from5PM on Thursday, March 3 to 2PM on Sunday, March 6
- Stone Harbor Shiver, registration at Fred’s Tavern at 9:30AM, plunge at the 96th Street Beach following the parade which begins at 11:45AM, visit www.StoneHarborBeach.com
for info,Saturday, March 12
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Celebration in Sea Isle City, begins at 83rd & East Landis to 63rd & Landis, call 609-263-6341 for info, 3:30PM, Saturday, March 12
Beautiful brand new Tom Welsh home with a pool in Stone Harbor. Lovely wall colors and stunning kitchen. Walk to the beach or the center of town.
249 88th St., Stone Harbor, $1,895,000, ACTIVE MLS# 163969
Enjoy incredible views of the bay, wetlands, Cedar Island, and daily sunsets from your 3-bedroom Camalon condo. The only condo available in the Camalon, this unit has a new kitchen and its own boat slip.
1688 Ocean Dr., Unit A-3, Avalon, $699,000, ACTIVE MLS# 167341
Build your beach front dream house in Stone Harbor. Just reduced by $250K, to well below assessed lot value. This lot is 75′ wide across the beach front, providing spectacular ocean views.
2 100th St., Stone Harbor, $3,099,000. ACTIVE MLS# 159871 – Under Contract
Enjoy life in this beautiful, fully furnished, 6 bedroom/5.5 bath home in Avalon’s desirable South-end. Walk just 1.5 blocks to the widest section of Avalon’s beaches. If you would rather be pool-side, you will love this unique and amazing cabana.
249 76th St., Avalon, $2,195,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS# 165654 – Under Contract
Just reduced by $200K, this spectacular 6 bedroom home with a pool and wraparound porch sits on an oversize 70 x 110 lot. Beautiful decor, this property must be seen.
385 93rd St., Stone Harbor, $2,295,000, ACTIVE MLS# 165563
Just reduced by $400K, this home sits on an oversize beach block corner lot, it’s the 4th house from the beach. Utility poles and wires are being removed from this block to enhance your ocean view. This is an opportunity at $ 2.295m.
115 120th St., Stone Harbor, $2,295,000, ACTIVE MLS# 165421
South-end Stone Harbor beach front just reduced by $600K, to under assessed value. Enjoy magnificent ocean views in front of the widest section of Stone Harbor’s beaches. This beautiful D.L. Miner built home sits on a 60′ x 110′ lot and has a pool.
103 119th St., Stone Harbor, $5,395,000, MLS# 162648
Just listed, this is the only available unit in The Avalon condos at 700 First Ave. This popular building has a large pool and inlet views from the condo.
115 119th St., Stone Harbor, $2,045,000, ACTIVE MLS# 160910 – Further Reduced!
233-235 99th Street, Stone Harbor, $260,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 168058
8001 Second Ave Unit 209, Stone Harbor, $375,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 168083
300 79th Street, Avalon, $599,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 168027
298 90th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 168066
174 86th Street, Stone Harbor, $3,499,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 168048
10818 Third Avenue Unit C4, Stone Harbor, $555,000, SOLD MLS#: 163079
288 88th Street, Stone Harbor, $690,000, SOLD MLS#: 161758
471 7th Street, Avalon, $990,000, SOLD MLS#: 166728
274 77th Street, Avalon, $1,675,000, SOLD MLS#: 163265