MARKET STATS: 2015 saw solid increases in the local real estate market over 2014. Here’s a look at some numbers:
Number of sales in 2015: 412, up 20.8% over 2014.
Highest sale: $8,000,000, up 14.2%.
Average sale: $1,361,807, up 3.6%
Median sale: $1,125,000, up 6.1%
Early signs indicate that 2016 is off to a good start—58 properties are already under contract for settlement this year, with 337 properties actively listed for sale.
What’s driving the market? Buyer demand remains solid, while interest rates remain attractive despite a minor recent increase. Rates are widely expected to increase further over the next 6-12 months, so if you’re contemplating buying a shore property, it may be prudent to make your purchase now, locking in a low interest rate for the duration of your ownership! Please call or email me if you’d like to get started!
THE AVALON FISHING PIER will soon extend another 200 feet into the ocean, bringing its total length to 900 feet. The extended length will accommodate more anglers and allow them to fish regardless of the tide height; currently at low tide the end of the pier is over the sand. The Avalon Fishing Club expects the newly extended pier to reopen in March, and is seeking additional members.
Those who bought an $80 bond to help fund the construction of Stone Harbor’s “Ocean Parkway” (now Stone Harbor Boulevard) in 1910 were given “the bonus of fully improved lots in Stone Harbor” for free! The image above is from a post card being auctioned on ebay. Click the image to view the ebay listing. In case you’re wondering, the Ocean Parkway officially opened in July, 1911, connecting Stone Harbor with Cape May Court House.
COMCAST’S AVALON OFFICE will close permanently at the end of January, leaving Comcast’s Rio Grande office as the retail location closest to the Island.
THE SPOTTED WHALE will soon open in Stone Harbor, in the store formerly occupied by Barrie Shoes along Third Avenue. The Spotted Whale is a specialty/gift shop that currently has locations in Barnegat Light and Ocean City. Watch for their opening in Stone Harbor this spring!
- Wetlands Institute Lunch ‘n Learn, topic is ‘Rising Seas: Properties, Habitats & Turtles,’ bring your lunch; coffee & dessert will be provided, 11:45AM-1PM, Friday, January 15
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, January 16
- Wildwood’s Polar Bear Plunge, benefits Special Olympics of NJ, registration at 10AM at Wildwood Convention Center, plunge at 1PM on the beach, Saturday, January 16
- Cape May County Zoo Comedy Fundraiser, apps & finger foods, raffles, music, dancing & stand-up comedy hour featuring Tom McTiernan, Princeton Bar & Grill, visit capemaycountyzoo.org for info & tickets, 6:30PM, Saturday, January 16
- Wetlands Institute Lunch ‘n Learn, topic is ‘Habitat Restoration Following Hurricane Sandy at E.B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge,’ bring your lunch; coffee & dessert will be provided, 11:45AM-1PM, Friday, January 22
- Stone Harbor Mayor’s Wellness Campaign, free 8 week program offering lectures & activities to attain individual & group goals, see www.StoneHarborRecreation.
com for info, Monday, January 25-Monday, March 21
- Covered Dish Dinner at The Wetlands Institute, topic is ‘Listening Closely…Acoustic Monitoring for Bats in the Northeast Region,’ 6-7:30PM, Friday, January 29
- Wetlands Institute Lunch ‘n Learn, topic is ‘The Cape May Raptor Banding Project,’ bring your lunch; coffee & dessert will be provided, 11:45AM-1PM, Friday, February 5
- IPad Workshop titled ‘Photography on the iPad,’ Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, February 6
- Wetlands Institute Lunch ‘n Learn, topic is ‘Tracking New Jersey’s American Oystercatchers Through Time & Space,’ bring your lunch; coffee & dessert will be provided, 11:45AM-1PM, Friday, February 12
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Meeting with Chuck McDonnell, the Director of the Avalon Recreation Department, speaking, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, February 13
- Sea Isle City’s Polar Plunge, 40th Street Beach, 2PM, Saturday, February 13
- Valentine’s Day Tour at the Cape May County Zoo, adult tour meandering through the zoo talking about the courtship of the animals, call 609-465-5271 for info, 1-2PM, Sunday, February 14
- Wetlands Institute Lunch ‘n Learn, topic is ‘Piloting the Beneficial Re-use of Dredged Material for Salt Marsh Restoration in Cape May County,’ bring your lunch; coffee & dessert will be provided, 11:45AM-1PM, Friday, February 19
- Covered Dish Dinner at The Wetlands Institute, topic is ‘Engaging Communities to Save Diamondback Terrapins: Lessons from the Georgia Coast,’ 6-7:30PM, Friday, February 26
- Stone Harbor Shiver, registration at Fred’s Tavern at 9:30AM, plunge at the 96th Street Beach following the parade which begins at 11:45AM, visit www.StoneHarborBeach.com
for info, Saturday, March 12
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Celebration in Sea Isle City, begins at 83rd & East Landis to 63rd & Landis, call 609-263-6341 for info, 3:30PM, Saturday, March 12
Enjoy incredible views of the bay, wetlands, Cedar Island, and daily sunsets from your 3-bedroom Camalon condo. The only condo available in the Camalon, this unit has a new kitchen and its own boat slip.
Build your beach front dream house in Stone Harbor. Just reduced by $250K, to well below assessed lot value. This lot is 75′ wide across the beach front, providing spectacular ocean views.
2 100th St., Stone Harbor, $3,099,000. ACTIVE MLS# 159871 – Under Contract
Enjoy life in this beautiful, fully furnished, 6 bedroom/5.5 bath home in Avalon’s desirable South-end. Walk just 1.5 blocks to the widest section of Avalon’s beaches. If you would rather be pool-side, you will love this unique and amazing cabana.
Just reduced by $200K, this spectacular 6 bedroom home with a pool and wraparound porch sits on an oversize 70 x 110 lot. Beautiful decor, this property must be seen.
Just reduced by $400K, this home sits on an oversize beach block corner lot, it’s the 4th house from the beach. Utility poles and wires are being removed from this block to enhance your ocean view. This is an opportunity at $ 2.295m.
South-end Stone Harbor beach front just reduced by $600K, to under assessed value. Enjoy magnificent ocean views in front of the widest section of Stone Harbor’s beaches. This beautiful D.L. Miner built home sits on a 60′ x 110′ lot and has a pool.
Renovated 4 bedroom Bayfront just listed at below assessed value. Enjoy the view all the way down Pleasure Bay in Stone Harbor; the good life on the bay awaits you! This property is a winner.
423 104th St., Stone Harbor, $1,439,000, ACTIVE MLS# 166468 – Under Contract
Just listed, this is the only available unit in The Avalon condos at 700 First Ave. This popular building has a large pool and inlet views from the condo.
115 119th St., Stone Harbor, $2,045,000, ACTIVE MLS# 160910 – Further Reduced!
150 96th Street, Stone Harbor, $505,000, SOLD MLS#: 163423
234 76th Street, Avalon, $2,350,000, SOLD MLS#: 166753