SEVERAL HUMPBACK WHALE SIGHTINGS occurred this week just off Cape May County beaches, as reported by the vessel Cape May Whale Watcher. As many as twenty whales have been spotted within a few miles of the beach between Avalon and Cape May, and have been seen feeding, breaching, and slapping the water with their fins. Cape May Whale Watcher has more cruises planned for the next few weekends. Visit www.CapeMayWhaleWatcher.
WIND FARMS OFF THE JERSEY COAST, much-discussed for many years, may now be a step closer after two firms won a federal auction to lease 344,000 acres for future wind farm development, according to the Atlantic City Press. Actual construction could still be years away due to a required anti-trust review, followed by up to a year for each firm to submit a plan for surveying the ocean seabed, and up to four and a half years to submit construction plans. For more details see the article in the Atlantic City Press: http://www.
Armchair adventurers–enjoy a five-minute break from reality! Climb aboard the sailboat “Puffin” for a four-day round trip between Havre de Grace, Maryland, and Cape May New Jersey! Along the way you’ll enjoy beautiful scenery and get a taste of the sailing lifestyle!
CENTRALIZED DISPATCH of emergency services will help save lives and money, according to Avalon Mayor Martin Pagliughi, who also serves as Cape May County Director of Emergency Management. The county recently approved a plan to centralize dispatch services at the Cape May County Airport in Erma. By doing so costs can be reduced while still having enough dispatchers available to handle multiple medical , police, and fire-related incidents simultaneously.
HOST FAMILIES NEEDED: Operation Fireside is underway, matching Coast Guard recruits with host families for Thanksgiving day and Christmas day. Host families pick up their recruit at noon and return them to the Coast Guard base by 8pm, allowing the recruit several hours of relaxation, a chance to call home, and a home cooked meal. To register to be a host family, contact Georgianna Engels at 609-646-8330 or Georgianna.
MUSIC, SEMINARS, CHILDREN’S ACTIVITIES, AND A HOLIDAY PARADE—you’ll find it all on Seven Mile Island during the next several weeks. Check below for a long list of upcoming events. Be sure to set aside the Thanksgiving Weekend for a visit to the Island—what a great way to kick off your holiday season!
- Avalon Home & Land Owners’ Association Meeting, Speaker is Avalon’s Business Administrator Scott Wahl who will discuss Avalon’s Floodplain Management Plan, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, November 14
- Cape May County‘s Disabilities Awareness Day, Avalon Community Hall, 10AM, Saturday, November 14
- Pirate Day at the Cape May County Zoo, treasure hunts, games, photo ops, more, 11AM-2PM, Saturday, November 14
- Sea Isle City’s Girls’ Weekend, specials & discounts in participating shops, restaurants & bars, Friday, Saturday & Sunda
y, November 20, 21 & 22
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155,10AM-Noon, Saturday, November 21
- Basket Weaving Workshop, all supplies are included, Avalon Public Library, register at 609-967-7155, 10AM-4PM, Saturday, November 21
- Princess Day at the Cape May County Zoo, glass slipper hunts, games, face painting, photo ops, more, 11AM-2PM, Saturday November 21
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier, 5PM, Wednesday, November 25
- Brendan Borek 5K Turkey Trot hosted by Cape May Fitness Center, to register go to www.brendansfund.org or call 609-898-1515, 9AM start,T
hursday, November 26
- 4th Annual Turkey Trot 5K Run & 1.5 Mile Walk, Avalon Community Hall, 10AM, Friday, November 27
- Stone Harbor’s Island Holiday Celebration, family fun, Merchants Hospitality Night, pet parade, downtown shopping district, 10AM-9PM both days, Friday & Saturday, November 27 & 28
- Avalon’s Festive Friday, over 40 family friendly holiday activities plus Santa Claus, Avalon Shopping District, 11AM-6PM, Friday, November 27
- Avalon’s Festival of Trees, The Whitebrier, Noon-8PM, Friday, November 27
- Wetlands Institute Wonderland, family activities, scavenger hunts, aquarium feedings, crafts, more, 9:30AM-3PM, Saturday, November 28
- Avalon’s Snowfest Saturday, rides, games, music, lots of family fun throughout Avalon’s downtown area, 11AM-5PM, Saturday, November 28
- Stone Harbor’s Gala Christmas Parade, music, floats, Santa & Mrs. Claus, 6PM, Saturday, November 28
- IPad Workshop explaining a variety of iPad uses & ideas, Avalon Public Library, register by calling 609-967-7155, 10AM–
Noon, Saturday, December 5
- Big Band Dance featuring The Star Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, December 12
Enjoy life in this beautiful, fully furnished, 6 bedroom/5.5 bath home in Avalon’s desirable South-end. Walk just 1.5 blocks to the widest section of Avalon’s beaches. If you would rather be pool-side, you will love this unique and amazing cabana.
Just reduced by $200K, this spectacular 6 bedroom home with a pool and wraparound porch sits on an oversize 70 x 110 lot. Beautiful decor, this property must be seen.
Just reduced by $400K, this home sits on an oversize beach block corner lot, it’s the 4th house from the beach. Utility poles and wires are being removed from this block to enhance your ocean view. This is an opportunity at $ 2.295m.
South-end Stone Harbor beach front just reduced by $600K, to under assessed value. Enjoy magnificent ocean views in front of the widest section of Stone Harbor’s beaches. This beautiful D.L. Miner built home sits on a 60′ x 110′ lot and has a pool.
Renovated 4 bedroom Bayfront just listed at below assessed value. Enjoy the view all the way down Pleasure Bay in Stone Harbor; the good life on the bay awaits you! This property is a winner.
423 104th St., Stone Harbor, $1,439,000, ACTIVE MLS# 166468 – Under Contract
Just 2 blocks from the widest section of Avalon’s beaches, this stunning, 5 bedroom townhome also has bay/wetlands & sunset views. There is lots of room in this 3-story property with a garage. Just bring your bathing suits; this winner is in perfect move-in condition.
6840 Ocean Dr., Avalon, $1,095,000, ACTIVE MLS# 166325 – Under Contract
Just one block to the beach and walk to everything in town from this 5 bedroom home on a full-size lot. Hardwood floors, upgraded kitchen and room for a pool, this home is priced right. Want to rent? This property had over $80K income this season.
133 34th St., Avalon, $1,695,000, ACTIVE MLS# 165661 – Under Contract
Just listed, this is the only available unit in The Avalon condos at 700 First Ave. This popular building has a large pool and inlet views from the condo.
115 119th St., Stone Harbor, $2,045,000, ACTIVE MLS# 160910 – Further Reduced!
Tucked away with a bay view, but close to the beach & restaurants, this professionally decorated stunning home with a pool is a winner! Take a look at the photos.
This 4 bedroom/3.5 bath Stone Harbor townhouse is surprising, it feels like a single-family home, without the single-family home price. The location is convenient to town, restaurants, and the beach. Take a look!
4111 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $640,000, SOLD MLS#: 165697
125 14th Street, Avalon, $875,000, SOLD MLS#: 162402
249 63rd Street, Avalon, $1,327,500, SOLD MLS#: 161834
9011 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $1,475,000, SOLD MLS#: 159494
159 20th Street, Avalon, $1,750,000, SOLD MLS#: 165643
9509 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $1,875,000, SOLD MLS#: 165797
160 113th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,725,000, SOLD MLS#: 162279