THE 2015 SALES ACTIVITY in Avalon and Stone Harbor has far outpaced last year. There have been 305 properties placed under contract on the island as of mid-September compared to 257 during the same time in 2014. This year is truly marking a turn-around for the real estate market at the shore. Mortgage rates are still low, if you are interested in buying or selling your property, please give me a call and let’s discuss your needs.
AVALON SEAWATCH: Cape May Bird Observatory has staffed the Avalon Seawatch from dawn to dusk from September 22nd to December 22ndevery year since the early 1990s. Each fall a count of migratory birds is made, with annual counts averaging 800,000. In 2014 the count exceeded 1,000,000 birds. Avalon Seawatch is currently housed in a small hut on the beach between the 8th Street jetty and 9th Street. Cape May County in general is known as a good birdwatching area, as the county’s shape funnels birds into the area before they cross the Delaware Bay. For a look at the migratory bird data collected by the Avalon Seawatch click here:
FLOOD PLAIN MANAGEMENT: Stone Harbor recently issued a Flood Plain Management Annual Progress Report in which it detailed several projects designed to further mitigate the threat of flooding on the Borough. Among the projects Stone Harbor has or will be undertaking are upgraded outfall pipes to carry storm water to the bay, improvements to existing drainage pipes, and utilization of a reverse 911 system to alert residents of flooding or approaching major storms. Previous efforts undertaken by the Borough have improved Stone Harbor’s National Flood Insurance Program Community Rating, and those with flood insurance policies in the Borough already enjoy 15 to 25 percent premium discounts. The Borough of Avalon has undertaken extensive projects too, and the resulting rating improvements have reduced flood premiums there as well.
STARGAZER’S DELIGHT! Sunday evening’s super moon lunar eclipse arrived right on schedule. There were clouds in the area but a steady breeze kept them moving, allowing for a great view of the eclipse. The time lapse photo below shows the view of the moon from Cape May County, as it transitioned from full to a “blood” moon in the earth’s shadow.Sunday evening’s super moon lunar eclipse, as seen from Cape May County!
POWER OUTAGE RESCHEDULED: A planned power outage in Avalon scheduled for Tuesday, September 29th has been rescheduled due to weather concerns. Power was expected to be off for approximately 20 minutes Tuesday afternoon so the Piermont substation could be de-energized while a new substation was to be constructed over the winter. Rain, wind, and thunderstorms in the forecast for the next several days led to the postponement of the planned outage. It could occur next Tuesday, October 6th, but that date is still tentative, and subject to change.
PLAN AHEAD–AVALON’S SEAFOOD FESTIVAL returns on Saturday and Sunday, October 10th & 11th. The popular annual event will feature more than 20 local vendors serving up some of the best seafood around. Live music, children’s activities, crafts and shopping will be part of the event, too. The Sound Advice Lounge will feature beer & wine, along with live streaming of the weekend’s football games. Be sure to catch the Chowder Championship Sunday at 12 noon, as local restaurants square off in the annual contest!
- Avalon’s Fall Volunteer Dune Grass Planting, meet at 8:30AM at Avalon Community Hall for coffee, donuts & a planting demo, 9AMstart of planting, return to Community Hall at noon for a free lunch, register by 9/28 with Sue Keen at 609-967-5924, Saturday, October 3 (rain date – Sunday, October 4)
- Cape May County Zoo Night Walk, after hours tour of the zoo, 6:30-8:30PM, Friday, October 9
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Meeting, Karen DeRosa of CASA speaking on programs providing care for abused & neglected children, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, October 10
- Avalon Chamber of Commerce Seafood Festival, food, music, beer & wine, kids’ activities, more, 30th Street parking lot, 10AM-5PM, Saturday & Sunday, October 10 & 11
- Big Band Dance, John Clark’s Little Big Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, October 10
- Stone Harbor Lions Club Memorial Pancake Breakfast, Uncle Bill’s Pancake House, 304-96th Street, 8AM-Noon, Saturday, October 17
- Boo at the Zoo, family friendly activities all day long, costume contest, craft stations, children’s amusement rides, magic show, Cape May County Zoo, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, October 17
- Avalon Lions Club Pasta Night Fundraiser, Windrift Hotel, 5-8PM, Sunday October 18
- Stone Harbor’s Harvest Festival, hayrides, pumpkin decorating, trick or treating in the shops, 96th Street Shopping District, 11AM-5PM, Saturday, October 24
- Cape May County Zoo Adults Only Night Walk, quiet after hours tour of the zoo, 6:30-8:30PM, Saturday, October 24
- Snow Leopard Day at the Cape May County Zoo, programs, activities & zookeeper talks regarding snow leopards, 11AM-2PM, Sunday, October 25
Renovated 4 bedroom Bayfront just listed at below assessed value. Enjoy the view all the way down Pleasure Bay in Stone Harbor; the good life on the bay awaits you! This property is a winner.
Just 2 blocks from the widest section of Avalon’s beaches, this stunning, 5 bedroom townhome also has bay/wetlands & sunset views. There is lots of room in this 3-story property with a garage. Just bring your bathing suits; this winner is in perfect move-in condition.
6840 Ocean Dr., Avalon, $1,095,000, ACTIVE MLS# 166325 – Under Contract
South-end Stone Harbor beach front just reduced by $600K, to under assessed value. Enjoy magnificent ocean views in front of the widest section of Stone Harbor’s beaches. This beautiful D.L. Miner built home sits on a 60′ x 110′ lot and has a pool.
Walk to everything in town from this professionally decorated 5 bedroom home with a pool. Never been rented, this 2009 home is move-in ready and priced right.
159 20th St., Avalon, $1,780,000, MLS# 165643 – Under Contract
Just one block to the beach and walk to everything in town from this 5 bedroom home on a full-size lot. Hardwood floors, upgraded kitchen and room for a pool, this home is priced right. Want to rent? This property had over $80K income this season.
Just listed, this is the only available unit in The Avalon condos at 700 First Ave. This popular building has a large pool and inlet views from the condo.
Tucked away with a bay view, but close to the beach & restaurants, this professionally decorated stunning home with a pool is a winner! Take a look at the photos.
Enjoy the wonderful unobstructed bay/wetlands/sunset views from this renovated townhouse located at the end of a private drive. Wide decks, 2 floating docks and two boat slips. Just reduced.
290 79th St., #15, Avalon, $535,000, ACTIVE MLS# 164268 – Under Contract
Stone Harbor bayfront just reduced by $300K. This recently remodeled property opposite the Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, is now priced under assessed land value. Enjoy bayfront living in this house or build your dream house. This is a great bay for swimming.
9011 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $1,495,000, MLS# 159494 – Under Contract
This 4 bedroom/3.5 bath Stone Harbor townhouse is surprising, it feels like a single-family home, without the single-family home price. The location is convenient to town, restaurants, and the beach. Take a look!
707 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor Manor, $198,500, SOLD MLS#: 161941
8001 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $482,500, SOLD MLS#: 159501
8531 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $610,500, SOLD MLS#: 163951
2743 Dune Drive, Avalon, $775,000, SOLD MLS#: 164954
35 W 14th Street, Avalon, $1,165,000, SOLD MLS#: 164252
36 E 15th Street, Avalon, $1,600,000, SOLD MLS#: 160867
659 24th Street, Avalon, $1,610,000, SOLD MLS#: 165880
1958 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,925,000, SOLD MLS#: 162793
169 98th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,945,000, SOLD MLS#: 161579
74 E 13th Street, Avalon, $2,225,000, SOLD MLS#: 164216
86 E 24th Street, Avalon, $2,800,000, SOLD MLS#: 163615