A TASTE OF FALL: This week dry, clear days and cool, crisp nights made it feel like fall on the Island! The fall season traditionally brings delightful weather for the beach, fishing, or bird watching, smaller crowds, and a relaxed pace. More warm weather is expected to return over the next few days, but the taste of cooler weather is a sign that fall is coming!
250 MILLION YEARS! That’s the estimated age of a horn coral fossil found on Stone Harbor’s 98th Street beach by 7-year old Ryan Fedok of Virginia. Ryan found the two-inch object at the water’s edge, but neither he nor his family could identify it. Ryan’s father Jason Fedok emailed the American Museum of Natural History in New York, which identified it as a horn coral fossil that lived 250- to 500-million years ago—at least five million years before dinosaurs. According to Carl Mehling of the museum, the horn coral was not native to Stone Harbor and was likely transported here by ocean currents or glacial movement.
An egret searches a tidal pool for a meal on a beautiful September afternoon. The vibrant green marsh grasses of summer are gradually giving way to golden fall colors. Sea Isle City’s water tower is in the background.
WEEKEND ACTIVITIES GALORE! From nature & wildlife to food, wine, & beer, to surfing & dancing, you’ll find plenty to enjoy at the shore over the next several weekends. Check the list of events below! If you’re looking for quieter pastimes, try a walk on the beach, fishing for stripers on the jetty, or a stroll through the shopping district.
PROJECT TIME: If you’ve been wanting to add a new deck, replace your appliances, or have a new coat of paint put on, now is a great time to do so. With the rush of summer now past, contractors aren’t quite as busy, and you’ll have plenty of time to finish your projects well prior to next season. If you need contractor recommendations call or email me!
SEASON OVER, TIME TO SELL? With the summer season drawing to a close it may be time to evaluate your vacation home situation. If your family has grown and you need more space, or you’re ready to move closer to the beach, or you need a bayfront home to dock your boat, please call me! The local real estate market has been quite strong and you may be pleasantly surprised to find out what your present property is worth!
NOTICE SOMETHING DIFFERENT? I’ve moved to Ferguson Dechert Real Estate! It’s a good move for me; I wanted to be with a smaller privately owned office that specializes in the 7 Mile Island. I’m excited about working with the very professional staff at Ferguson Dechert, and continuing to serve you, my friends and clients. My cell phone will always remain the same, 703-622-3668. If you need anything, give me a call. As always, I’m here to help you with your real estate needs on our special island.
- 19th Annual Nuns’ Beach Surf Contest, 111th Street beach in Stone Harbor, call 609-368-5290 for info, 7AM, Saturday, September 19
- Wetlands Institute Fall Migration Festival, see, explore, learn & enjoy with guided viewing of migratory birds both at the Institute & on Seven Mile Island, 9:30AM-4:30PM, Saturday & Sunday, September 19th & 20th
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, September 19
- Stone Harbor’s Savor September Food, Wine & Beer Festival, crafts, fun for the kids, fire pits, lots more, 96th Street shopping area, Noon-8PM, Saturday September 19 (Rain Date Sunday, September 20)
- Cape May County Zoo Night Walk, an after-hours tour of the zoo, 6:30-8:30PM, Friday, September 25
- Avalon’s Performing Arts Council Cabaret Night, Billy Joel Tribute, Avalon’s Community Hall, doors open at 6:30PM, show starts at 7PM, Saturday, September 26
- Avalon’s Fall Volunteer Dune Grass Planting, meet at 8:30AM at Avalon Community Hall for coffee, donuts & a planting demo, 9AM start of planting, return to Community Hall at noon for a free lunch, register by 9/28 with Sue Keen at 609-967-5924, Saturday, October 3 (rain date – Sunday, October 4)
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Meeting, Karen DeRosa of CASA speaking on programs providing care for abused & neglected children, Avalon Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, October 10
- Avalon Chamber of Commerce Seafood Festival, food, music, beer & wine, kids’ activities, more, 30th Street parking lot, 10AM-5PM, Saturday & Sunday, October 10 & 11
- Big Band Dance, John Clark’s Little Big Band, Avalon Community Hall, 7PM, Saturday, October 10
- Stone Harbor Lions Club Memorial Pancake Breakfast, Uncle Bill’s Pancake House, 304-96th Street, 8AM-Noon, Saturday, October 17
- Boo at the Zoo, family friendly activities all day long, costume contest, craft stations, children’s amusement rides, magic show, Cape May County Zoo, 10AM-2PM, Saturday, October 17
- Avalon Lions Club Pasta Night Fundraiser, Windrift Hotel, 5-8PM, Sunday October 18
- Stone Harbor’s Harvest Festival, hayrides, pumpkin decorating, trick or treating in the shops, 96th Street Shopping District, 11AM-5PM, Saturday, October 24
- Cape May County Zoo Adults Only Night Walk, quiet after hours tour of the zoo, 6:30-8:30PM, Saturday, October 24
- Cape May County Zoo Snow Leopard Day, programs, activities & zoo keeper talks relating to snow leopards, 11AM-2PM, Sunday, October 25
South-end Stone Harbor beach front just reduced by $600K, to under assessed value. Enjoy magnificent ocean views in front of the widest section of Stone Harbor’s beaches. This beautiful D.L. Miner built home sits on a 60′ x 110′ lot and has a pool.
Walk to everything in town from this professionally decorated 5 bedroom home with a pool. Never been rented, this 2009 home is move-in ready and priced right.
159 20th St., Avalon, $1,780,000, MLS# 165643 – Under Contract
Just one block to the beach and walk to everything in town from this 5 bedroom home on a full-size lot. Hardwood floors, upgraded kitchen and room for a pool, this home is priced right. Want to rent? This property had over $80K income this season.
Just listed, this is the only available unit in The Avalon condos at 700 First Ave. This popular building has a large pool and inlet views from the condo.
Tucked away with a bay view, but close to the beach & restaurants, this professionally decorated stunning home with a pool is a winner! Take a look at the photos.
Enjoy the wonderful unobstructed bay/wetlands/sunset views from this renovated townhouse located at the end of a private drive. Wide decks, 2 floating docks and two boat slips. Just reduced.
290 79th St., #15, Avalon, $535,000, ACTIVE MLS# 164268 – Under Contract
New beach front opportunity! Just listed, build your dream house with a pool, enjoy spectacular ocean views & sunrises. Leave your car parked and walk into town. This full size 50′ x 110′ flag lot includes an extra 600 sq. ft. that allows for a pool. The CAFRA application for construction is underway. Call me to discuss this end-user opportunity.
86 E 24th St., Avalon, $2,950,000, MLS# 163615 – Under Contract
Stone Harbor bayfront just reduced by $300K. This recently remodeled property opposite the Yacht Club of Stone Harbor, is now priced under assessed land value. Enjoy bayfront living in this house or build your dream house. This is a great bay for swimming.
9011 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $1,495,000, MLS# 159494 – Under Contract
This 4 bedroom/3.5 bath Stone Harbor townhouse is surprising, it feels like a single-family home, without the single-family home price. The location is convenient to town, restaurants, and the beach. Take a look!
259 104 Street, Stone Harbor, $320,000, SOLD MLS#: 164016
1114 Stone Harbor Blvd #103, Stone Harbor Manor, $500,000, SOLD MLS#: 159884
285 82nd Street Unit B, Stone Harbor, $540,000, SOLD MLS#: 162636
406 21st Street Street, Avalon, $607,000, SOLD MLS#: 162522
2454 Harbor Avenue, Avalon, $660,000, SOLD MLS#: 164977
155 98th Street, Stone Harbor, $999,000, SOLD MLS#: 164405
246 37th Street, Avalon, $999,000, SOLD MLS#: 164687
3265 First Avenue, Avalon, $1,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 161053
274 56th Street, Avalon, $1,150,000, SOLD MLS#: 164677
4509 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $1,425,000, SOLD MLS#: 161689
589 Third Avenue, Avalon, $1,500,000, SOLD MLS#: 164643
2664 First Avenue, Avalon, $1,825,000, SOLD MLS#: 163675
36 W 33rd Street, Avalon, $2,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 155847
4948 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $3,995,000, SOLD MLS#: 156733